CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 20, 2002, 12:33 PM
Veteran

Thumbs down 'home network' doesnt work on xp (2 computers connected)

sponsored links

i have two computers both on winxp pro
i have connected them using a crossover cable and followed the network wizard on each, when i go to view the 'home network' on each of the computers i cant see anything, apart from on one computer, it can see 'its self'

i have allowed sharing, and turned off the firewalls.
but it still does not work, is there anyway i can fix this problem, thanx
Old Oct 20, 2002, 01:31 PM
Veteran

Check if the xp firewall is disabled

They should also have File and Print Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed as well, with a share on both drives in which you would like to transfer from/to

TCP/IP address 192.168.0.1 (on the desk top) and 192.168.0.2 (on the other) using 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask for both

Go into My Network Places/Network Connections and open the Properties for the network adapter and click Install, add the NW IPX and NW Netbios protocols(on BOTH machines).

XP needs to have a LAN protocol installed to see a locally attached system. The systems will find each other automatically (you may have do a "find computer" the first time). This will allow your to see the desktop shared folders and printers and visa versa.

Or

Enable the guest account in the Control Panel / User Accounts
Go to Control panel / NetworkConnections. Open the properties of the network connection / Highlight the TCP/IP and properties / Advanced / Wins Tab / NetBios over TCP/IP is selected.

You may also go to a command prompt and try to ping by IP address

***********.homenethelp.com/
Old Oct 21, 2002, 12:18 AM
suspended

Hothi gave you lots of good troubleshooting suggestions. However I'm going to move this to the Networking and Security forum just in case you don't get it resolved.