CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 23, 2002, 08:12 PM

sponsored links

wtf? this sounds like bullshit. put that new top on, and guess what would happen.... it would open and you would be starring at a plastic cover for the cdrom. let me guess you take that out?
Old Oct 23, 2002, 08:15 PM
Veteran

That's why I am trying to ask BIGWORM to see if his friend can shed some light on how to remove that cover to expose the laser and tray. If that's a simple process like removing couple screws etc.
Old Oct 23, 2002, 08:45 PM
Veteran

There are 4 little screws that hold the top plastic cover of the drive on. Once that is removed, you can see the whole disc on the tray.

I doubt there is any validity to this. I mean what are you supposed to do? ...the old PSX swap trick. The PS2 spins discs a lot faster than the PSX...sounds like a lot of ppl getting burnt fingers to me. lol
And you see the white thing on the top of that case? It holds the cd/dvd down onto the platten/spindle hub. If the disc is spinning and you open it, the disc would fly off of there so quick it could put an eye out.

Unless swap magic totally stops the disc this is hella-dumb, but I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade...if it works, great, but i'll just stick to soldering which is easy for me and proven to work.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:13 AM
Veteran

OK guys.....I can settle this....:
YES, the Swap Magic discs DO stop spinning totally when it is time to swap (so does a gameshark 1.7 and up). I have tested this hundreds of times by having my PS2 apart back in the old days (it is called the LH swap). Back then we used to play all the backups with the PS2 lids off! Then we would boot the Gameshark (1.0 thru 1.3 back then) then wait for it to stop spinning, swap the discs from the top, put the tray cover back on and press 'x'.
So, my point being that this is the same as having the cover off, except that there is a manufastured 'hole' for you to remove your disc through. And YES this will work fine, since it will have the same funcionability as the knife-trick (and the 72min TOC limit too). Of course, with the Swap Magic discs you won't even need DVD-rips, because booting DVDR is so easy.
All you should have to do is remove your old top, remove your tray assembly top, then install the new 'flip-top' lid.
Sounds like a good idea to me, IF and only IF you don't mind swapping discs. So it is not for EVERYONE, but a good idea indeed! I may be interested just because they plan on making these in different colors, which hasn't been offered before (except to JAP PS2's).
So, there you have it.............Hope this clears this up for you guys.

Last edited by Discwizard; Oct 24, 2002 at 12:16 AM.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:49 AM
Veteran

and only $7.00 gotta get me one of these.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 01:04 AM
Veteran

must be a beeach to install!