CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 24, 2002, 07:47 PM
Veteran

Default Total slowdown when using writer

sponsored links

Can anyone help me with this. For some reason, whenever I use my cd writer I seem to be using all my machines resources. If I read an image, write an image or copy on fly, the writer seems to use all the systems resources and causes major slowdown.
This problem was never there before, I used to be able to do anything with my burner whilst surfin web, watching vcd and slowdown was never a factor.
Now if Im online a page takes an eternity to load, it even disconnects me sometimes, if Im typing in word or an email it takes like 3 secs for the letter to appear. It seems that if I'm using my writer at all, there are no resources left to do anything else.

It all started from when I tried to change the IDE set up. I read on here that a better set up than what I had would be to have my Primary IDE's master as HDD and slave as DVD ROM. Then Secondary IDE have my writer as master.
I did all this, changed the jumpers, adjusted the BIOS etc. but for some reason the machine wouldnt accept it. Sometimes it would start and not recognise drives, sometimes it wouldnt start at all.
I decided to change back to my old set up, the way I had it b4 I changed with Primary master as HDD, Sec master as DVD and slave etc.

There was another major issue started after this but thru help from on here got it sorted and its irrelevant to the writer issue.

I ended up after all the carry on trying to get old set up back by installing XP over 98 and adding an extra 30Gb HDD as slave. everything was brand new for a while but now my writer has gone back to its old tricks, using all the resources, stopppin me from doing anything else really whilst reading or burning.

My system isnt the fastest in the world but it done the job fine for my needs until this crap started:
P3 800
320 MB 133
Abit VL6 MOBO
GeForce 2 MX 400
30Gb IBM HDD (Prim Master)
30Gb Maxtor HDD (Prim Slave)
Hitachi 16x DVD ROM (Sec Master)
Lite-On 24102B Writer (Sec Slave)
Win XP Pro
Clone CD 4 and Nero 5.5.9.0 Only

Im lookin to upgrade it v.soon but ANY help in why my writer is causing this crap just now is greatly appreciated. Or any tips on setup in general as I know I aint getting what I should be out of the system. The 2 HDDs have managed to find themselved full of the biggest load of crap.
Thx in advance
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:41 PM
suspended

Check the Burner's properties in Hardware Profile. Make sure that you have DMA and Disconnect enabled. This should lighten the load the burner is creating on your system
Old Oct 25, 2002, 03:17 AM
suspended

Moving to CDRW forum...
Old Oct 25, 2002, 10:24 AM
Veteran

This is really lame and something I had no probs doing using 98 but how do I get to the hardware profile where I can enable/disable DMA etc in XP Pro?
I've been to Hardware Profiles thru System Properties and all I have is Profile 1 (Current).
If I try it thru Device manager I cant find it. Can sum1 point me in the right direction.
Cheers.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:37 PM
suspended

NP m8, go into device manager and click on "IDE controllers", Primary + secondary and you will see there if "Ultra DMA Mode 2" is enabled for your CD/DVD devices. XP should auto assign UDMA 2 to these devices but sometimes it can set them to PIO so just change them to UDMA 2 if that happens.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 02:42 PM
Veteran

Lazza, thx for that m8, looks like I'm on my way to fixin it. On Sec IDE both Device 0 and Device 1 were set to PIO only. It only allows me to change it to "DMA if available" which I have done for both, but below each it says "Current Transfer Mode" and in both even after changing it still says "PIO Mode"??

Is it just a case of having to restart to make settings take effect.

On Primary IDE, Device 0 & 1 were set to DMA if available and in "Current Transfer mode" they both say "Ultra DMA Mode 3". I presume this is correct, yes?

Will try restarting now and check if Secondary changes take effect.

Many thx for ur help m8.