CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 27, 2002, 07:32 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Cool m8, thx for finding that out for me, sounds promisin.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 09:07 PM
Veteran

Surprise, surprise, didn't work. I have tried every possible combination of things and I still am on PIO Mode.
Noticed a bit up the article this bit:
Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.
In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device.
Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC errors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on).
If the mini-IDE driver for the device does not support stepping down transfer modes, or if the device is running UDMA mode 0, Windows XP will step down to PIO mode after encountering six or more CRC errors. In this case, a system reboot should restore the original DMA mode settings.
All CRC and timeout errors are logged in the system event log. These types of errors could be caused by improper mounting or improper cabling (for example, 40-pin instead of 80-pin cable). Or such errors could indicate imminent hardware failure, for example, in a hard drive or chipset

May I have to disconnect my writer and dvd, boot, then reconnect and boot to uninstall then install them?

For ATA or ATAPI devices that do not work properly in DMA mode.
Compatibility testing at Microsoft has shown that enabling DMA on certain drives could cause data corruption or reduced system stability. There is no way for the user to enable DMA on these devices.

This cant be the case as I know they were running fine before. Using 98 I was able to enable and disable DMA on both. On XP it ran fine so they must be compatible?

AAAAAARGGHHH!!!!
Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:28 PM
Veteran

move back to win98...i know a lot of peeps have trouble with burning and XP my mate has a machine with exactly the same symptoms as you and he's running an athlon 1400...so it;s not a system fault
Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:47 PM
Veteran

But it did work absolutely perfect when I first installed XP, may even have been a little quicker.
Should I perhaps reinstsall XP?
Old Oct 29, 2002, 09:51 PM
suspended

It sounds like your system is logging DMA errors which would explain why it worked at first but doesn't now. Re-installing XP will probably reset these error logs but I suspect it wount be too long before XP starts downgrading the burner back to PIO mode.

Try removing the burner and re-installing

Quote:
May I have to disconnect my writer and dvd, boot, then reconnect and boot to uninstall then install them?
- this sounds like a good idea to me.

I don't know if it's going to be a permanent solution though.
Old Oct 30, 2002, 12:35 PM
Veteran

What I think Im gonna do is install 98 and reinstall XP Pro and have a dual boot.
But as I said, when I installed XP, writer worked fine.

This old topic may come back into play:

***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=1189294#post1189294

Any ideas??