CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 27, 2002, 02:17 PM
Veteran

Default i'll pay someone to help me successfully share my adsl connection!!!!

sponsored links

I really am that desperate.

I am going to give my entire configuration in this post, so hopefully somebody will be able to see what i am doing wrong. Here goes.

[B]host pc[/B]

windows xp pro, 1 realtek rtl8139 10/100 network card, adsl connection, alcatel speedtouch usb modem, isp is btopenworld, home 500 package.

In my network connection I have installed client for microsoft networks, file and printer sharing, nwlink netbios, nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protocol and internet protocol (tcp/ip). in internet protocol properties, I have the ip set as "obtain ip address automatically" which is 10.0.0.6, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, default gateway is blank. I also have it set to "use the following dns address", which is left blank.

On the authentication tab in network properties, "enable network access control using IEEE 802.1x" is checked, eap type is smart card or other certificate, "authenticate as computer when computer information is available" is checked and "authenticate as guest when user or computer information is unavailable" is unchecked.

on the advanced tab, "internet connection firewall" is greyed out and unchecked.

My internet connection, on the networking tab, I only have internet protocol (tcp/ip) installed, and the properties are set to obtain ip address and dns address automatically, and on the advanced tab, internet connection firewall is unchecked, "allow other users to connect through this computers connection" is checked, "establish a dial up networking connection whenever a computer on my network attempts to access the internet" is checked and "allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection" is checked.

internet explorer connection properties (lan settings) are "automatically detect settings" is checked, "use automatic configuration script" is unchecked, "use a proxy server" is unchecked.

This PC is connected via a crossover cable to my

[B]client pc[/B]

windows xp pro, 1 realtek rtl8139 10/100 network card.

the network properties have all the same protocols installed as the host pc, and in internet protocol (tcp/ip) properties, it is set to obtain ip and dns addresses automatically, the ip address is 10.0.0.8 and the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, the authentication tab is identical to the host pc, and the advanced tab has the firewall turned off, but it is not greyed out like the host pc.

Internet explorer connection properties are again identical to that of the host pc.

That is all i can think of that is network settings related.

I can share files and printers between the computers no problem, and i can ping the client pc from the host pc, but not vice versa. I have just bought an "adsl modem router ethernet/usb which is an adsl modem that supports ethernet routing function" according to the box. It is made by eTEC, but doesnt have any model numbers or anything on it. I tried installing this instead of my alcatel modem, but I couldn't get on the internet with it, I don't think my pc recognises it as a modem. There is nowhere to plug my alcatel modem into the router, so i have had to reinstall the alcatel modem, just to get on the web. I have tried ****ogx and winproxy, but ****ogx made no difference, and winproxy just kept crashing. I have zonealarm installed, but even with it switched off, i still can't connect on the client pc.

I am sorry for the long post, some of it may be meaningless drivel, but i thought if i put in as much info as possible, maybe somebody could see what was wrong. I await your replies anxiously.

Last edited by philmeehan; Oct 27, 2002 at 02:54 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 03:50 PM

okay, have you run the network setup yet in both of the windows xp operating system???

Last edited by fackyah; Oct 27, 2002 at 03:53 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 04:13 PM
Veteran

Try this to get the 2 pc's talking to each other then we'll sort out your internet connection. First, on each PC, right click my computer-> properties-> computer name-> set the workgroup to something. Doesn't matter what it is just make sure its the same on both PC's.

Host PC:
In the properties of the network card, under Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) set it to 'use the following IP address' and set the IP to 192.168.0.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 leave the default gateway and DNS settings blank for now.

Client PC:
Same section (network properties)
Use the following IP, IP = 192.168.0.2, same subnet mask. Set the default gateway to 192.168.0.1 and set the DNS to 192.168.0.1.

You should now be able to ping each other by IP address (i.e. 192.168.0.1/2)

On the host PC I guess you have a connection under network connections in my computer for the Alcatel USB ADSL modem?
Old Oct 27, 2002, 05:29 PM
Veteran

I set it up as you said captain, but still couldn't ping from the client to the host. Yes I do have a connection for the alcatel modem.

I have ran the network setup wizard several times fackyah, but no joy.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 05:41 PM

what is ping the PC means???

and the problem occurred is maybe you're using a usb modem...

hey thecaptian, on the part that you said about the subnet mask, do you means this: 255.255.255.0 or this: 192.168.0.2, which number is it?

Last edited by fackyah; Oct 27, 2002 at 05:49 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 05:55 PM

by the ways, read this thread:

***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=202655

CapBlye said that you can't network a usb modem!!! lol!!!

sorry, I can't help you.........

but goodluckZ!!! lol