CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 28, 2002, 03:09 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

OK, everything looks normal there. A few more questions:

1) Are you using the above settings and surfing the web now from the host PC?

2) What happens when you ping 192.168.0.1 from Client PC (paste the output)?

3) What happens when you ping 192.168.0.2 from Host PC?

An always on DSL is just where you leave your PC on all the time or use a router to connect. Its 'always on' because you can use it for as long as you like with no cut-offs.

If you still can't ping the host from client the you could try swapping the network cards between the two machines. If you still can't ping the host from client then at least we'd know its not the card thats at fault.
Old Oct 28, 2002, 08:24 PM
Veteran

One other simple investment you may want to make, is try a new Cat5 cable. It could very well be that your using the wrong type cable, or the cable is faulty.
I mean, if your not even able to ping ... well
And, i did not say that a router will solve the problems, or that you even need one to connect,
What i said was, it will save you a lot of time and headache.
Using the DHCP services in the NAT translation inherant in a router will save you time and trouble tryong to configure winblows to do what you want.
Its point to the router and go, simple.

Quote:
If the machines can't even ping each other then something is setup wrong so a new router won't help.
lol...is that so?
hmm.... ok, so your saying obtaining an ip addy automatically from a routers DHCP is NOT better than manually configuring a default gateway, a client and a server?
Hmm, i guess id better go hit the books again
Old Oct 29, 2002, 02:00 AM
Veteran

I have tried 2 diferent crossover cables, one that was made for me by somebody on this board, and I got a short one provided with my router, neither one of them has let me share my internet connection, so I don't think it could be the cable.

answers to your questions captain 2k1:-

Answers to your questions:-

1) yes I am using those settings to surf the web now.

2)pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

request timed out
request timed out
request timed out
request timed out

ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
packets: sent = 4, received = 0, lost = 4 (100% loss)

3) pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:

reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes = 32 time = 6ms ttl = 128
reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes = 32 time = 1ms ttl = 128

ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:
packets: sent = 4, received = 4, lost = 0 (0% loss)
approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:minimum = 1ms, maximum = 6ms, average = 2ms

I tried posting this last night, but couldn't post messages on the board for some reason. Don't know if it means anything to you.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 05:37 AM
Veteran

Ok, so it looks like everything is setup right, you sure you dont have a firewall running?

You could try pinging the client PC from itself either by pinging its own IP or ping 127.0.0.1 (which is loopback, but you don't need to worry about that). If these work then I'm really confused. I'd suggest you swap the network cards between the two PC's to rule out a faulty card.

@CapBlye: I'm not saying that DHCP is any worse or better than setting an IP manually, there are advantages and disadvantages of both. Obtaining an IP isnt the problem here as you can clearly see from ipconfig that both PC's have an IP on the same subnet. As phil has got one PC on the working and on the web it seems pointless buying a new router when it could be down to something like a faulty network card.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 08:02 AM
Veteran

I have already tried pinging the host computer from itself, and it worked ok.

Regarding the possible faulty network card, surely I would get a message in device manager? Even if i didn't, at the moment, the network card in the host pc, is just sitting there useless, because I have managed to lay my hands on a router/modem, connected the crossover cable from that to the client pc, but i still can't ping the host computer from the client, only the client pc from the host. So it looks like it may be a problem with the client NIC card. When I get home from work, I will try taking out the Nic card in the client pc, and trying the one out of the host.

I'm probably just higlighting my ignorance here, but somebody mentioned to me that having a dynamic ip address would stop me sharing my internet connection. But I am not too sure if he knows a great deal about what he is saying, as I have spoken to people who have shared their internet connection, and they have dynamic ip addresses.
Old Oct 29, 2002, 01:15 PM
Veteran

I would also make absolutely sure that their is no firewall or anything running on the 192.168.0.1 PC...

Also, you can share your connection fine even if the IP address on your ADSL is dynamic. It would only be a problem if your internal IP (192.168.0.1) changed.

Hope this helps.

Zack