CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Oct 27, 2002, 09:45 PM

Default CD-RW and Cdrom drive not working....Please help

sponsored links

One day both my cdrom drive and cdrw drive stopped working, windows doesnt recognize its there or something, and when I go to my computer the cd drives arent listed. I thought maybe it was the IDE cable but then I opened up my computer to switch the cable and realized that they are both on seperate cables. They are both on the 2nd plug on each cable(2nd meaning not the middle one). I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not but I thought I'd mention it. I unplugged both and blew on them with a can of compressed air to remove dust and made sure they were firmly plug in. Any ideas as to what is wrong and how to fix it? If you know please post here/email me/IM me. Thank you in advance.
Old Oct 27, 2002, 10:19 PM
Veteran

You might want to try reinstalling them through Device Manager
If they arent automatically detected by Add New Hardware, then you can try Manually installing them, but that may not work.
Its good you checked connections first, as that eliminates one possibility, and the easiest.
What version Windows are we talking about?
Old Oct 28, 2002, 03:02 AM
suspended

hmmm, my bet (though I may well be wrong) is that you are running Win XP and have or may have had Roxio EZCD on your system. Am i right?

I have had this on about 3 or 4 customers systems, usually when they uninstall EZCD, *all* their CD/DVD devices vanish. If that is the case checkout this link :- ***********.winxpfix.com/page16.htm#removingeasy
Old Oct 29, 2002, 06:41 PM

Lazza you are a god send...Thank you very much
Old Oct 30, 2002, 03:12 AM
suspended

NP m8.

Glad it's sorted.
Closed Thread