CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Oct 30, 2002, 08:36 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Well a router is a basic firewall in that it filers out packets.
A DMZ is a system that has 2 firewalls one that protects a service that allows public connections and the other to protect your personal network.
By the sounds of it you will have to setup your router to allow connections from the host there coming from (game server).
You are using your pcs connection? I dont know much about Ps2 connecting direrctly to the internet, but you wont get hacked if you do its not possible.

Last edited by uk_trader; Oct 30, 2002 at 08:38 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2002, 12:55 AM
Veteran

I have not been to my friend's yet. I did call him though, and he said that is how his is set up (though he is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, so he could be wrong...) Anyways, I should definitely be over there this weekend. I will also try to find out about the IP thing for you as well.

Zack
Old Oct 31, 2002, 03:07 AM

cool, thanks for you help man. I'll be looking forward to knowing how your friend did this and got the IP of the PS2!!!
Old Nov 05, 2002, 11:41 PM

hey Zack, any news on what your friend did? or whats the deal?
Old Nov 06, 2002, 11:01 AM
Veteran

If you connect the PS2 to a router, you must assign the PS2 an IP address, much as you would a workstation. So for example, if your router is 192.168.1.1, and your main computer is 192.168.1.2, then the PS2 would get 192.168.1.3
Once connected to the router, you should be good to go. All thats needed after that is to Login to playstatyion online server with your user name and password, and your in.
Dont worry about the firewall, its not an issue with the PS2 ... and IF it should be an issue, just use the Port Forwarding feature on the Router to open the Ports that the PS2 Servers use for gaming. That info can be found once you connect to the PS2 gaming site.
Any router will do really...the Linksys has all of the features you need.
Dont buy a Wireless router ...connection of the PS2 is much more complicated that way.
Old Nov 07, 2002, 12:51 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by CapBlye [/i]
[B]If you connect the PS2 to a router, you must assign the PS2 an IP address, much as you would a workstation. So for example, if your router is 192.168.1.1, and your main computer is 192.168.1.2, then the PS2 would get 192.168.1.3
Once connected to the router, you should be good to go. All thats needed after that is to Login to playstatyion online server with your user name and password, and your in.
Dont worry about the firewall, its not an issue with the PS2 ... and IF it should be an issue, just use the Port Forwarding feature on the Router to open the Ports that the PS2 Servers use for gaming. That info can be found once you connect to the PS2 gaming site.
Any router will do really...the Linksys has all of the features you need.
Dont buy a Wireless router ...connection of the PS2 is much more complicated that way. [/B]
Okay here's my deal. I have 2 comps and a ps2. I have the dsl modem hooked up to a dlink router, and 2 comps and a ps2 hooked up to the router. As for my IP, it's dynamic and not static. The router address is 192.168.0.1. My computer's IP is 192.168.0.168. So how exactly would I go about being able to assign my PS2 an IP address? By the way, I can play games online w/ the PS2, i just can't connect to others who have firewall. That's why i'm trying to find out how to do that. I know I can open up ports, but i need to know how to open them up to the ps2. This is b/c when it asks to open up ports, it asks for what IP I want to opent them up to. And I need to know what or how the PS2 IP address is. How to get that is what I need I guess. I don't know. Any help on the issue would be great. And Zack, any info on your friend?