CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 08, 2002, 07:42 AM

sponsored links

pc's are faster than macs. where did you get absurd idea. macs are much faster than pc's and because they have a lower megahertz number doesn't mean they are slower. megahertz/gigahertz is considered the worst way to measure processor speed (in the industry). the intel/amd architecture has more pipelines than a mac processor and so the speed in the intel chip is multiplied up in some bizarre way when measuring in megahertz/gigahertz but it means that the messages in the chip need to travel further to get to their destination, thus being slower. try a different (better/more accurate) bechmark and you will find that macs are way faster. the megahertz myth is widespread but you show your ignorence with you statement aznkidlee. also macs really multi-process under osx and xp doesn't. so two 1 ghz in a mac = about 1.5ghz where as in a pc two 1 ghz = 1ghz.

yoshi

ps if macinaction see's this he will really give you the info as he's a man in the know.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 05:48 PM
Veteran

ok even if macs are faster than pcs, pcs have more games/software. a friend of mine who has a mac is asking me if i can find any games/software for him. he ask me to find software that will play vcds and svcds. i had a hard time seaching for them and i only found two. for pcs theres a lot of programs that will alow u to play vcds and svcds. my friend also wanted me to get some emulators for him but i couldn't find any emulators for macs. if it is true that macs are faster i stil think pcs are better b/c u can g et more games/software for it.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 02:09 PM

try looking harder. www.downloads.com has a mac site and there is loads of svccd vcd apps there. as for more software. quality and not quantity here mate. if you are looking for loads of run of the mill software for a mac, just run virtual pc and run all the pc crap. mac software is better, and most stuff now ends up on the mac if it decent.
let the flames burn hot

yoshi
Old Nov 27, 2002, 01:16 AM

Great explanation, Yoshi. The benchmark test is the only way to truly tell who has the fastest chip.

The benchmark test compares the processing speed by doing a series of functions in Photoshop (I can't remember, but I think its seven functions total). It is one of the most memory and processor intensive applications on the market. After clocking the speed of the different processors, they come up with the "benchmark" number for comparison.

Speed really doesn't mean that much to most of us that are Mac fans. Its all about stability. I expect my computer to work, and to work WELL. I cannot tolerate a machine that locks up once or twice a week. There is [b]no excuse[/b] for a new machine to act like that, but I have experienced it on friend's computers when asked to help troubleshoot their problems. Stack dump this, blue screen of death that, device conflicts, resources bottoming out despite adequate RAM, serious security flaws (ask the XP users about that one!), and unexpected lock-ups. Using crap like AOHell (AOL) products or RealPlayer on a Windows box will get you into trouble much more often than normal. Even MS apps such as Word can act erratic at times. On a Mac, a third party app can only lock-up within itself. Thanks to the Unix code now used by OS X, apps can't lock-up the OS. It just keeps going, and going.....

Simplicity is another huge factor. My first computer experience was with an old Mac with an outdated OS (System 7). Despite the fact I knew nothing about computers at the time, I was able to wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall a newer OS without much hassle. I only read the book that was shipped with OS 8.1. It took about ten minutes to figure out what setup options I wanted, and about fifteen minutes for the data to be copied to the hard drive. [b]ONE[/b] reboot and I was finished. Later that year I attempted to reinstall Win 95 on an old Pentium I that I picked up from a friend. Mistake! Without any real Windows experience, I was forced to get a guru friend of mine to show me the finer points of the process. I was baffled that this machine needed a CD AND a floppy to install (thankfully that changed with Win 98, but it took too long to accomplish what Macs had been doing for quite some time). Not fun at all, and very time consuming in comparison. It shouldn't take that long and multiple reboots to get it up and running.

There is at least one thing that the PC users do have an advantage over the Macs. Gaming. If you're a die hard computer gamer, stick to your PCs. There are many more titles to choose from on the PC, and I've heard the graphics seem to be faster too.

The price of a PC is a little more affordable too. The high end Macs are VERY expensive. Just like most things that you purchase, you get what you pay for!
Old Nov 27, 2002, 05:46 AM

MacInAction back in the house.
Good point aboput stability mate. I am running os 9.2.2 and it has only crashed three time this year. not bad I reckon. As far as games go, if you want to play decent games, buy an XBox or PS2. I prefer my XBox, and I know it is by MS but its games rule. Halo (an old mac project by legendary mac developers bungie) is great and splinter cell looks set to knock the pants off MGS 2. I digress.

yoshi
Old Nov 29, 2002, 09:17 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by buzz-buzz [/i]
[B]Plain & simple -
It all comes down to what ur needs r!
OSX & WinXP are getting close to being the same!
Maybe cuz win is starting to see the light???? [/B]
Im thinking of getting a mac to have a play around with. I find computers fun for some reason.
If thats the case I dont want to bother.

I use a PC but windows is shite Im a Linux user myself other than for games and burning Ive never used yellow dog though and Im not familiar with any other linux flavours for Mac is there any?

But Id say Mac's are the most secure from Hacking.

Last edited by uk_trader; Dec 03, 2002 at 04:00 AM.