CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 02, 2002, 06:04 AM
Veteran

Question CD DVD burner collecting dust because tray stays open after burn overnight :(

sponsored links

For some reason Veritas RecordNow is allowing the tray of my
DRU-500A DVD/CD burner to eject after every successful burn, even though I specifically have the 'Do not eject' option enabled...
It therefore has stayed open for hours overnight on two separate occasions now.

The first time I didn't know it was going to happen of course.
The second time I went to lie down in bed while it was burning a DVD, and either fell asleep or forgot it was burning; so once again the tray stayed open for hours.

How bad is this for the drive?
I know it was only twice, but I know how sensitive an optical (DVD or CD drive) can be to foreign particles (usually dust).

Is it worth getting a can of compressed air and blowing it into the drive?
Can blowing compressed air into the burner actually make it worse?

I may be paranoid, but I just wanted to check if it could actually pose nay problems?

Thanks for your opinions and/or tips!
Old Nov 02, 2002, 08:24 AM
Veteran

compressed air is ok as long as the can doesn't shoot liquid.

odd that keeps ejecting anyways ... try a different app?
Old Nov 02, 2002, 09:52 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by 420 [/i]
[B]compressed air is ok as long as the can doesn't shoot liquid.

odd that keeps ejecting anyways ... try a different app? [/B]
Thanks for the info. I might also try blowing into it carefully, although that might just blow the dust (if any) around the drive

Regarding using another app:
It is a new drive (DRU-500A), and my usual app (for DVD video at least) Stomp RecordNow [B]Max[/B] doesn't support it yet.

Veritas RecordNow does support it (and works great for DVD video) but that is the app that keeps ejecting tjhe tray after a successful burn.

Nero supports the drive (as of 5.5.9.17), but I haven't trusted Nero with DVD video in the past. I would like to give it a shot, but I only have one blank DVD-R disc left (I am waiting for a new shipment of 30 blank DVD-Rs on Monday).

I burned my first home movie as DVD video on a DVD-R disc (a while back) and it played in my Apex, so I thought all was fine.
I burned 7 more with Nero, before one day LUCKILY finding out that my Toshiba DVD changer (which can't read CD-R/CD-RW media) can read DVD-R. The Toshiba didn't play any of the Nero-burned DVD video DVD-R discs.
I then stopped using Nero and used Stomp RecordNow Max, and the DVD video DVD-Rs it created played not only on the Apex but also on the Toshiba, so I started using that...
I later got an Xbox, and that also plays the Stomp, but not the Nero discs...
This confirms that there was a problem (which ahead software posted in their change log).

I will try Nero again, since they have made numerous changes since it last wasn't working (5.5.9.9) (even though they said it had been fixed).
I checked yesterday and it seems like they have made some changes with the DVD video compilation... As soo nas the blanks come in I'll try Nero again.

I do happily use Nero for most of my VCDs.

This ended up going a 'bit' off the original topic didn't it?

Last edited by VEFF; Nov 02, 2002 at 09:54 AM.