CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > VideoCD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 05, 2002, 08:43 PM

sponsored links

It looks like the original poster is refering to buying the discs from a 3rd party.. and that's not too cool. The whole point of the scene is to download and (possibly) burn the movie onto a disc. There's a few movies I will get with no intention of actually burning... just watching once and deleting. If I consider that I have to have a computer and internet conection for other purposes.. this means I pay $0 for some movies. For those I actually burn.. maybe $0.30 for 2 discs of SVCD. I agree that DVD is the future.. at least for the medium.. Here's the ultimate for the forseable future:

A DVD with 8 DVD quality divX movies on it playing in a stand alone DVD player...

anyone got a better likely senario?
Old Nov 05, 2002, 09:55 PM
Veteran

8 DVD quality movies?? That's only 560MB's per movie, somehow I don't see that as DVD quality. I mean for DVD quality you would want the original AC3 which is over half of that. Then for DVD quality you would have to keep the original anamorphic res...

Although in the future I guess channel coupling in vorbis will work for multichannel streams. XviD will be even greater quality than it is now, MCF will be finished, etc.
Old Nov 06, 2002, 01:06 PM

Nonetheless the future has to be DIVX on DVD. You'll get more films at a high quality than by any other method.

Personally, still using SVCD when the quality is there (i.e. DVD or Screener).
However, those that want to play AVI through there tele might consider a chipped x-box.
Old Nov 07, 2002, 02:27 AM
Veteran

Actually, dvdrip vcd arn't really that bad. I hate the two disc thing, swapping is a pain, keeping two disc stored together so they comlete is a pain. That's why I don't collect vcd. DVD is the future. They arn't that expensive, planning on getting one soon, a04 cost around 250 here in the us, possibly 200 really soon, and Pinco are around 1 dollar.
Old Nov 07, 2002, 01:12 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by celtic_druid [/i]
[B]8 DVD quality movies?? That's only 560MB's per movie, somehow I don't see that as DVD quality. I mean for DVD quality you would want the original AC3 which is over half of that. Then for DVD quality you would have to keep the original anamorphic res...

Although in the future I guess channel coupling in vorbis will work for multichannel streams. XviD will be even greater quality than it is now, MCF will be finished, etc. [/B]
OK, maybe not true DVD quality, and maybe 8 is a high estimate.. but certainly better than VCD quality and at least 5 or 6 movies per disc. What you're looking for is the affordible storage media with the most capacity (so definetly DVD) and a compression method with the best ballance of low file size and good quality. True audio & videophiles will probably never be completly pleased with anything less than a store bought DVD or exact replica of that. The vast majority of us will glady give up something like dolby 5.1 and multiple audio streams for a movie with a file size of under 700MB. the bottle neck now seems to be lack of compatable stand alone players.
Old Nov 07, 2002, 09:20 PM

Probably cheaper to by DVD's
Cost of PC
+ Software
+ Burner
+ DVDRom
+ Internet Charges
+ CDR's
+ Electricity
+ Wasted Time sitting if front of PC
+ Drugs to keep you awake
+ Prostitutes to keep busy while waitng for 30 hr encoding (Which is not a Bad Thing)

Buy DVD, SVCD VCD DivX Blah blah balh!..Like buying a replica lamborghini