CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Data Protection/Compression
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 06, 2002, 09:55 AM

Default Looking for Help Protecting VCD's

sponsored links

I burn a lot of vcd's and would like to copy protect them from others trying to make copies. I know theres no complete way to do so but I'm just looking for something to stop the average person from popping it in and copying it.

Any suggestions?

Some said you can possiblely change the table of contents or something -- any advice is much appreciated.
Old Nov 07, 2002, 12:25 AM
suspended

Nothing that's remotely effective. You can't alter VCDs much because if you do they become unplayable. Even if you alter the TOC it can still be copied with CloneCD, failing that the dat can be copied to Harddrive (you can't alter the dat file at all) and then used to burn to a VCD.

Plus there's the whole hypocracy argument, you are presumably making VCDs from DVDs that you don't own the copyright on. The movie companies invested big$$ in developing DVD encryption that you use a DVD ripper to bypass. So unless you start paying copyright royalties it's a bit rich to want to stop others from copying pirated discs.
Nothing personal M8, just a general prinicpal of it.