CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 10, 2002, 05:38 AM

Default fix/replace Xbox DVD drive?

sponsored links

My Xbox is having problems reading some games, but not others. These games are original discs, most of which are brand new with no scratches and are not dirty. This happened occasionally since the console was new. I have since installed the Matrix chip and a new hard drive to it and it still has the same problems. Is it possible to make any DVD drive laser adjustments or just straight out replace the drive altogether? And if replacement is possible, is there any procedures needed (i.e. software applications or otherwise) similar to replacing the hard drive or can I just physically swap out the drive with a new DVD drive? Also, which drives would be compatible?
Old Nov 11, 2002, 03:54 PM

Has this situation happened to anyone else, or is it just me?
Old Nov 11, 2002, 04:15 PM

there are guides to swapping out the xbox dvd drive for a pc dvd drive on www.xbox-scene.com but it involves all sorts of soldering that I wouldn't be brave enough to do ...

Alternatively, you can but a replacement xbox drive from an xbox spares site
Old Nov 11, 2002, 05:47 PM

Having some trouble at the moment, but it's the discs not the drive. Every now and then I would test a disc, only for it to vibrate as if the disc wasn't balanced and these would not boot. I've tried every one on a spindle of 50 dvd-rw's and 18 of them do this.

Rewritables are the best disc for the XB even though some will read bulkpaq's and the like.

Wagman
Old Nov 11, 2002, 07:56 PM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by wagman [/i]
[B]Having some trouble at the moment, but it's the discs not the drive. Every now and then I would test a disc, only for it to vibrate as if the disc wasn't balanced and these would not boot. I've tried every one on a spindle of 50 dvd-rw's and 18 of them do this.
[/B]
I am having a little problem with with CD-RWs too, but that is to be expected. My main problem is with actual original Xbox discs. That is what is so frustrating.