CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Apr 01, 2004, 12:48 PM

Default Do you think our DVD burners will be upgradable to Dual Layering?

sponsored links

[I]Philips Semiconductors and Taiwanese MediaTek expect to start offering dual-layer DVD+R drives in the second quarter of 2004 at earliest.

Philips will be offering a downloadable firmware upgrade to allow system makers to upgrade existing DVD+RW drives to support dual-layer recording. It has not, however, been announced which models can be upgraded by a simple firmware flash.

MediaTek produces chips to equipment manufacturers. Lite-On IT expects that mass production of drives should begin in the second quarter.

Source: Digitimes[/I]

It sounds like a firmware upgrade might be possible. Do you think there is a good chance that we won't have to buy brand new burners to take hold of this new technology? I have the Sony DRU 510A.
Old Apr 01, 2004, 03:26 PM

The Pioneer DVR-106 also known as Pioneer DVR-A06 has been shown in some computer shows to record dual layered DVD-R's by a firmware update. I don't know any others that could do that though.
Old Apr 02, 2004, 11:27 AM
Veteran

That was just a test, no way to know how many times you can do that. People are always using hacked firmware on their Pioneers but I wouldn't.
Old Apr 02, 2004, 03:07 PM
Veteran

I doubt it will be possible. Why bother releasing dual-layer burners when for half the price and a simple firmware upgrade you could do it on single-layered burners? It just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.
Old Apr 03, 2004, 12:20 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Mothumos [/i]
[B]The Pioneer DVR-106 also known as Pioneer DVR-A06 has been shown in some computer shows to record dual layered DVD-R's by a firmware update. I don't know any others that could do that though. [/B]
This has been discussed already. That drive contained more then just a hacked firmware. There where some drastic changes made to the hardware itself, like a new laser lens assembly and control board. In fact about the only things that remained from a real DVR-106 was the case and drive tray.
Old Apr 03, 2004, 01:14 AM

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by jesterrace777 [/i]
[B]I doubt it will be possible. Why bother releasing dual-layer burners when for half the price and a simple firmware upgrade you could do it on single-layered burners? It just doesn't make sense from a business standpoint. [/B]
Because maybe more technology was required in making the actual DVD-R Dual Layered disc then was required in making a drive. Who knows maybe it is like when they came out with the 80 minute CDR and they were still compatible with old CD burners. I am not a DVD techie or anything so I wouldn't know what actually makes the technology work but if I can avoid paying for a new burner by upgrading my firmware then I am all for it.