CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:34 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question a little question about VIAs

sponsored links

hi
with the via points i am aware there is some debate on wheter or not to use them, but... would good installers on here say that using 30awg, tinning the end near the insulation, and poking it in the hold then heating the solder is a good or bad idea??

i did this on a mates v3 for the neo once, and it worked, but is there anything that you would say is particularly dodgy about sticking 2mm of wire into the hole? as it makes it so much easier!!

(i read this in one of stusys posts, and he seemed to say its fine, and he does it..)

any info??

thanks

nick
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:54 AM
Veteran

I see no problem in doing that personally mate. I don't do that myself though!! I just solder to the via point because I pre-solder the via so it looks like a little blob of solder, then I pre-tin the wire and dab a little flux and stick!!! Works for me!!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Nov 11, 2002, 05:00 PM
Veteran

I agree with spagboll, just pretin the VIA and it will stick fine. If you would ever need to remove a wire, and it was poked through the hole, you can rip the VIA off during removal if not done carefully...
Old Nov 11, 2002, 11:02 PM
Veteran

I scrape the plastic overtop of it first (VERY GENTLY, OR ELSE YOU'LL DESTROY IT, ALONG WITH THE MOTHERBOARD). I do this just to give more surface area to solder to. I don't put it down inside because you don't want to heat the via to the point where it falls through the PCB (MB toasted). Other than that Spagboll's way is the same. Flux the via, solder the via, add more flux, solder the lead to the little solder ball, clean with alcohol.