CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 12, 2002, 09:55 PM

Default if they can make boot disks, whats keeping HK from making...

sponsored links

ok before you flame me, here me out.

we all know that the ps2 uses bad sectors as its copy protection.

I recently puchesed a Magic Swap disk kit and i noticed that near the middle of the disk. there is a "ring" on the disk where it looks like the disk was passed thru a machine to make a grove in the cd and taking out the reflective part of the disk. (this is possibly the "bad sector" area that the ps2 looks for).

so my point is...
if they can do this with a bood disk, what is keeping lets say HK to make pressed silvers using the same technology that the swapmagic boot disk guys are using, so they can create self bootable HK silvers.

im guessing that all they have to do is pass the disk thru a machine that spins them while a "knife" thingy (Programmed to make a grove at a certin cortinates on the disk) makes the cut. then the disk gets passes thru to get the top part painted on and whala, you got yourself a bootable pressed disk.

what do you guys think... i got a dvd burnner so it wouldent matter to me if they did or dident come up with it. its just the idea of it. maybe i will try to cut in some grooves in some of my old ps1 games and see if it boots... lol you kever know it might work.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:01 PM

yes they probably could. But then there is the matter of sony
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:05 PM

well, with all leagal issues aside...you know that they are still making silver disks anyway regardless. why not make them self bootable? just my thught on things.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 10:12 PM

cos not all of the HK silver manufacturer can do it.

They probably just copying the AR/GS boot codes. I am not sure if anyone has even emulated the sony boot method apart from the similar method employed by the AR/GS guys.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 11:06 PM
Veteran

there DO exist 3rd party discs from companies not licensed by sony: interact/datel, the swap magic guys, and the broadq guys are the ones i know of.
so i would guess that sony allows these companies pressing rights for some sort of fee..
Old Nov 13, 2002, 10:43 AM

It's illegal