CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 15, 2002, 10:27 AM
Veteran

Talking A Guide to downloading games from newsgroups

sponsored links

[b]A Guide to downloading games from newsgroups.[/b]

A lot of people e-mailed me asking how to use newgroups. I've put up this guide to help people.

[b]What are the advantages of newsgroups?[/b]

1. Very easy to download games (if your ISP allows is). This is much easier than getting games of IRC.

2. Download speeds are [b]VERY[/b] fast. On my cable connection I can download a full game in under 1 hour.

[b]What will you need?[/b]

[b] - Usenet provider:[/b] Most of the time your ISP provides netnews free of charge. Some ISP have limits on data transferred and/or newsgroups that you can subsribe to/download from. Some ISPs do not offer Usenet service at all. You can, however, pay for a service like Easy News.

[b] - USENET Newsreader:[/b] For this guide I will explain GrabIt (v. 1.4.4 in particular). There are many Newsreaders that you can use like Forte Agent/ Free Agent ( ***********.forteinc.com/agent/download.php ), News Shark, etc. I recommend GrabIt; it is freeware (but feel free to donate to developers) and [b]VERY[/b] easy to setup and use.

Get GrabIt 1.4.4 Beta here:
********ex1.callihq.net/grabit/GrabIt144b.exe
This guide will be based on GrabIt 1.4.4 but you can always use a different reader.

[b] - WinRAR:[/b] I won't explain this. If you don't know how WinRAR works, downloading images isn't for you.

[b] - SmartPAR:[/b] This is optional. It helps tremendously though if you just downloaded a bunch of RARs and are missing just one or two. If PAR files are available SmartPAR will re-construct missing/broken ones.

Get SmartPAR 0.13d1 here:
***********.slyck.com/progs/smartpar0.13d1.exe

1. Once you have all this open up GrabIt. This is where you need to enter your ISP's NNTP info (Internet News). [b]You have to[/b] find this info from your ISP. Search on your ISP's website or call them to find your NTTP. For example, I have ATT Broadband and for me this would look something like this:

netnews.attbi.com

2. Download the names of all groups. (Will take a while)

3. Once downloaded, you can use the filter to search for image groups. Select [b]All Groups Tab[/b] and type it "playstation". If you don't see any "image" groups you're out of luck. Your ISP does not allow image groups! Here is the best binary for cdr games:

<< edit, sorry no actual groupnames allowed, search for yourself : Darkman>>

4. Once you find the groups you like (using filter for example), right click on the newsgroups and select Subsribe. The group(s) that you subscribe to will appear on the left side of the screen.

5. Now on the left of the screen where you see your subscribed groups, select the one you're interested in and right click on it. Select [b]Full-Update[/b]. This will take a while depending on your connection. You can see the progress of your downloads in the [b]Batch[/b] tab.

6. Now click on the [b]Articles[/b] tab. This is where the fun begins! You will see a lot of regular messages, but some will be of the same name and have part numbers in them. You know what this means.... images!

7. Select the parts you wish to download, right click and select [b]Grab Selected Article(s)[/b]. Again, you can view your download progress in the [b]Batch[/b] tab. You can download 8 files at once.

8. If PAR files are available for a game download these too; you never know when some RAR files will no longer be available. Better spend some more on the DL than be sorry later on.

9. When you have all the parts for a game, run WinRAR and extract the image. Usually this will be in BIN + CUE format.

10. Burn the image with your favorite program (CdrWIN, Nero, Fireburner, etc.)

[b]WHAT IF SOME RARS ARE MISSING?[/b]

If you downloaded PARS you're in luck. If not you will have to wait for a repost or ask for missing files. You must however have more PARS than [b]missing[/b] RARs! Run SmartPAR and open up your PAR files. SmartPAR will check for missing parts. If you have more PARs than missing RARs SmartPAR will re-construct the missing ones. When everything is re-constructed run WinRAR and you will be able to extract now.

[b]NOTE:[/b] You can use this guide to download all sorts of things... PSX images, DC images, X-Box images, PS2/X-Box dvd isos, etc. This guide is not limited just for PS2!

Please tell me what you think of this guide!

Last edited by Darkman; Nov 29, 2002 at 01:49 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 01:01 PM
Veteran

Good thread mate.

It got me started with grabbit anyway

Can't see many games alt.binaries.cd.image.playstation2 though.

Some have a lot of missing files unless they are requested reposts of files from a few days ago??????

Anyway thanks for the kickstart
Old Nov 15, 2002, 01:07 PM
Veteran

maybe the mods can make this a sticky?
Old Nov 15, 2002, 02:21 PM
Veteran

Zero - You can just add your post into the FAQ section.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 12:56 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by BigVal [/i]
[B]Good thread mate.

It got me started with grabbit anyway

Can't see many games alt.binaries.cd.image.playstation2 though.

Some have a lot of missing files unless they are requested reposts of files from a few days ago??????

Anyway thanks for the kickstart
[/B]
Usually it's best to dl files as soon as they're uploaded.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 02:37 AM

thanx man