CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 15, 2002, 07:01 PM

Default Its now been verified XBOX LIVE does NOT work with ModChips

sponsored links

This is from opjose over from xboxscene

"
Ok folks:

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find out what the heck was going on.

There are -TWO- levels of problems.

1 - The "can't connect" connectivity issue.

I still have no idea why this happens, but it seems to definitely be a Kerberos problem.

If you go into the Xblive control panel and try the connectivity test, you SHOULD see all the icons appear with no RED ICON.

If you get a single red icon at the bottom, you have the connectivity problem.

I have been unable to get past this on afflicted machines with or without mod chips installed.

2 - The actual game play issue if connectivity test is ok.

If you have connectivity and try to fire up, say MOTOGP Online from the retail disk, the very first time you launch it you WILL be connected (mod chip or no mod chip) and you will be notified that an update is required.

The update downloads some new code to your Xbox which adjusts the connection servers for the game you are trying to launch.

In all cases, mod chip or no, kerberos authentication does occur.

-AND- (drum role please) the downloaded code -DOES INDEED- detect mod chips!

Once the download has occurred you can SWITCH OFF the mod chip and revert back to the OEM BIOS.

IF YOU DO, XBLive does work fine on your modded machine, EVEN if you have replaced the console with Evolution-X!

So, yes, I'm eating it a bit on this one. The downloaded "checker" code was new to me until I had a chance to see it in action.

---

Yep, MS has implimented mod detection. The first update for live involves mod detection. To use live you have to have the MC switched off before starting LIVE and (duh!) have an origional game in dvd drive. If MS detects a mod(i.e. mod is not switched off etc) there is a bigfchance MS will backlist your xbox EPROM # and suspend your live account (its happend to a lot of people the past day), so be very carefull. If your EPROM # is banned, you won't be able to ever(unless some type of special hack is done to change eprom #) to use your xbox with ANY live kit, because your xbox eprom # will be on MS's database

Too bad.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 08:56 PM

How would you know if your Eprom# is Banned? Besides not being able to get on?
Old Nov 16, 2002, 02:21 AM

Form what i have heard this is not completely true. Only some people are having issues with modded xbox's and xbox live. In additonn to that, the new xbox dash that is being developed by the Xecuter guys is supposed to be able to allow you to change the serial of your machine, thus folling the xboxlive into letting you back on. Ultimately its only an issue if you ever want to play on xbox live which i dont want to.

haZ
Old Nov 16, 2002, 06:01 AM
Veteran

WOWO, no point of getting the xbox no more than. I was planning to get out because of xbox live. Now, there is no point due to the modchip not working with xbox live issue.

I mean guys let's return all xbox to stores and let's see WTF MS is gonna do?
Old Nov 16, 2002, 07:20 AM
Veteran

To be honest I think this is a stupid idea by Microsoft.

What they gain by doing this:

Punishment for modchip owners

What they lose by doing this:

No subscription money from modchip owners
Loss in sales of xboxs because people who can't chip won't buy
More people hating Microsoft because they can't use xbox live

I can understand why they have done this but I think they might regret it.
Old Nov 16, 2002, 09:14 AM

you can play x box live np with the xodus chip