CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 17, 2002, 02:11 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Well...a solder-mod just isn't for me. I have no way of installing it myself, and I have no one that I know who knows how to solder, except my grandfather who only knows how to solder pipes when they spring a leak.
I can't even ask any of my friends anything about game systems since I'm the only one who actually has gaming systems. A few don't even have pc's...lol.

And for the amount of games that I play (I don't play any sports games, racing games, platform games like Crash Bandicoot, etc.), I figure I'll be able to make do with a no solder chip.

For those games I can't play on the PS2 with the chip, I'm hoping I'll be able to play them on my xbox with my matrix chip (if it ever gets here. I ordered it last sunday and the status hasn't changed on my order from accepted to shipped yet.).

So unless someone moves in next door that has experience modding systems, I'll be using no-solder chips till I either die of old age years from now or go to trade school and learn how to solder electronics...lol.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 03:51 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

why dont you do what i did!!! get a broken thing in your house (i got a scanner) and take the circuit boards out.. buy a 15 watt soldering iron, and all the neccesaries, then practice soldering, it really doesnt take that much practice, and after a bit of that i installed the neo 2.2 in a friends ps2, which worked!! so how about trying that?

nick
Old Nov 17, 2002, 04:11 PM
Veteran

LOL...well, no broken items here that have circuit boards in them. We haven't had a broken peice of electronics like that in a looong time.
Plus I'd have to practice on something for a Very long time before I even considered soldering something to a $200 peice of eqipment. Took me forever just to save up to buy the first one.

Nope, I'll leave the soldering to those who have the know how...lol.
Old Nov 17, 2002, 04:20 PM

go for the no solder mod then!! just a bit of a pain that u cant use 80 minute cd-r in them.. only 74
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:07 AM
Veteran

OK, I'm not getting a mod-chip at all for my ps2.
First off I can't get a working copy of the installation guide, so I wouldn't know how to install the plug mod even if I got it. I spent a total of 45 minutes on hold when calling thier customer support, and no answer at all about getting working instructions. So they lost out on any future purchases right there.
Second, the description of how the chip works on easybuy is misleading. They mislead you by implying all you need to play any disk is the 2 included boot disks once the chip is installed, they don't mention anything about having to insert the disk, then swap in a real game, then swap in the backup. I got the idea from what they have written that with this chip you could play any disk with just one swap of the boot disk. Just like using a gameshark before playing a normal game on a non-modded system. Not so I find out.

Guess I'll go on unmodded.
Old Nov 20, 2002, 11:13 AM

if youve got the chip go to www.techtrix.co.uk that has diagrams for installing one.. go on "products" then "modchips" then find your no solder and click "see how easy it is here"

your not gonna break a ps2 installing one of these... youd have to be pretty stupid to do that!

nick