CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 19, 2002, 02:22 PM

Unhappy CD-R Missing Data

sponsored links

A user called IT today and said "we have a CD that we have been adding data to for at least 2 months and we could see the data without any problems. Just the other day, 11/18/02, we were adding more data and found all the other files missing. How can I recover the missing data? We use Roxio Easy CD Creator with a LG 12x/8x/32x CD-RW."

I obtained the CD-R from the user and it only had 11 objects on it, roughly 5 MB. The user said the CD had 100 objects, roughly 350 MB.

I asked the user how they were recording to the CD as I thought with CD-R's, you could only record once. The user said recording multiple times with a CD-R was possible, if you do not close the session each time. Can anyone confirm that this is true?

Also, is it possible to recover the data on the CD-R at this juncture. If not, can anyone hypothesize what exactly happened so I can teach the user how to prevent this from occurring again.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks so much.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 02:39 PM
suspended

You can burn a multisession disc, one session at a time, provided you still have enough room on the disc and the disc is not closed (or finalized). However, you must import the previous session(s) before burning a new session and you must finalize the CD after you burn the last one.

Use ISOBuster ( ***********.smart-projects.net/isobuster/ ) or CDRDiagnostic ( ***********.cdrom-prod.com/ ) to recover the data.
Old Nov 19, 2002, 02:52 PM

Default need help

I can see the sessions when I go to CD->Import Session. What is the procedure for making all the sessions viewable in Explorer again?
Old Nov 19, 2002, 09:12 PM
Veteran

Use above programs, extract data and reburn.