CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 22, 2002, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up 3 xp pcs netowrking together + sharing 1 bb connection little info plz thx.

sponsored links

Hi all just can you tell me if im correct here........

i need 3 network cards, some cat 5 cable + connectors (ill buy a ready made one), a netowrking hub.

My pc is going to be the master admin one.....

it will have the broadband connection pluged into it and i have to plug it into the seperate connector for netowrking.....

then i just plug the other 2 pcs into the other 2 slots is this right?

the hub looks like this doesnt it....

will
go
here

will it be easy to home netowrk 3 win xp pcs together min spec is a P3 866 other 2 are AMD xp1600's thx.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 09:59 PM
Banned

to be the easiest, but maybe the most expensive one is that:

you will need:

3 Ethernet cards
A 4 hub router
4 cat5 cables

and that's all.......

that ways, you can use 1 ip address for your 3 computers and you don't have to set any computer to be a host computer which means even if one of your computer is off, other computer will still have the option to access the internet, but not sharing files from the computer that are off unless you turn it back on if you do need the file from the computer that are off...... but the internet connection will always be on, even if all 2 of your computer is off and one is on.......

but for all of that, it will cost like about 100 bucks for the routers and the cable, but if you doesn't has those ethernet card yet, then it will cost you like 150 bucks!!!

anyways, try to get a linksys 4 hub router, and you can choose to get a realtek ethernet card or a linksys ethernet card would works fine... since i'm using those right now........
Old Nov 22, 2002, 10:12 PM
Banned

and the setup would be.......

1. install 1 ethernet card on each of your computers, and instll thier drivers which will ussally included with the card.

2. open the router, and connect its power supply to the router and to your outlet

3. use one cat5 cable and connect one end of it to one of your pc, then the other end to port 1 on the router. Then get another cat5 cable and connect it to your 2nd pc and the other end to port 2 of the router, and the third pc would be on port 3...

4. turn on all 3 pc with all the cable, and driver installed.

5. remember to turn on your router by just connecting the power supply to the outlet.

6. after all of your pc is turn on, open internet explorer and press the stop button, it will displayed the not found page.

7. in the address bar, type this address in: ********192.168.1.1/

8. it will pop up a login in windows, just type: admin in the password section and leave the username blank...

9. it will pop to the linksys router windows.

10. on the top of that page, there are 8 tabs, click on tab number 4, which is the DHCP tab...

11. where it say Number of DHCP Users: put in 3, becuz you have 3 computers connecting to a network...

12. after that, click apply

13. then it will pop up another windows, click continue.

14. then restart that computer, and start to do the same things on your other 2 computers, and restart them too.

15. Then shut all of them down at once, and power down your cable modem to reset it, power it on again.

16. after that, power on all of your pc...

and bingo...

if you want to share printer, file or so, just do the: start, program, accessories, communications, then click on network setup wizard...

goodluckz!!! lol !!!
Old Nov 23, 2002, 07:27 AM

are u american? coz u mention bucks or u just saying insed of ?

so a router can u get me any english links so i know what they look like thx.
cable is cheap from the computer fair and what bout just normal network cards? or do they have to be eithernet? (dont know what either net is)
Old Nov 23, 2002, 08:35 AM
Banned

network/ethernet/nic cards are the same kind of cards, they are all a network cards, but many people just want to use different names for it....

and yes, i'm in U.S.A.

anyways, i have try to find a website that sale it in the U.K but can't find one.. sorry...

let me try to search some more, anyways, doesn't in U.K should have some router to sale in a market, computer store..., ussally, all computer store will have a router for sale... it's doesn't really has to be a linksys router.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 08:39 AM
Banned

here i found a u.k website that sale it:

***********.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?CategoryID=2&ProductID=223

and here is a close up pictures of the router:

********images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/B00005KAC7.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg