CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 26, 2002, 02:15 PM

Default Backing up backups (PS2)

sponsored links

I'm having difficulty making a backup from a backup. I'm proceeding exactly as I would with a normal PS2 disc: I use DVDExtractor to make a disc image, and then use Toast Titanium 5.0.2 to burn the copy. When I've extracted (real) PS2 discs, things have gone off without a hitch. However, when trying to use an extracted image taken from a backup, the disc won't load on my PS2.

However, as an aside, I noticed that when burning a second copy of a disc whose image I left on my HD (from the original extraction), that disc also wouldn't load. Could there be something wrong with my burner? I have a Pioneer dvr a04, and up through this past weekend it has been working fine.

Another thing I noticed was that in the Finder, the folders and files contained in the original PS2 discs were all in capitals; in my 1st and 2nd generation backups, the folders were all lowercase and the stand-alone files were all caps. My 1st generation backups still load fine; but as mentioned above, the 2nd generation backups fail to load. Am I missing something? Is it impossible to make backups from your backups? Thanks.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 02:47 PM
Veteran

Humh?

I make backups from backups all the time

try my tutorial
***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17312&highlight=toast+b ack+thang

if your backups are scratched that could create a problem when trying to copy them.

What media are you using that is also another issue
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:25 PM

Well, my 1st generation backups are brand new; right out of the box and into the drive, so I don't think scratches are the problem; they also extract fine with no errors. I'm using Apple brand media. Also, I'm burning at 2x (the fastest my burner will go). Could I have done something to the settings of my burner without knowing?
Old Nov 26, 2002, 03:37 PM
Veteran

sounds weird dunno whats wrong it works for me all the time I am using toast to make my images though

Other than that I cant see what we are doing different I also burn at 2X all the time
Old Nov 26, 2002, 04:04 PM

Well, I just extracted Gungrave from my HK Silver using DVDExtractor, and burned it in Toast at 1x. It took a couple tries, but it booted fine on the PS2. The other two discs (Kingdom Hearts and Wild Arms 3) were images that I left on my HD from previous extraction. I'm guessing that the data got bungled somewhere along the line... Prior to extracting and burning Gungrave I ran Disk Doctor and then Speed Disk, so perhaps that made a difference. Later tonight I'll re-extract the two other DVDs from my backups and see if I can burn working copies. Thanks for the quick replies.
Old Nov 26, 2002, 05:03 PM
Veteran

I hope you can get it straightened out

Try extracting the game using toast an see what happens
also let toast verify your dvd after you burn it and see what it says