CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Nov 27, 2002, 02:04 PM

Question "click of death" on a floppy drive...

sponsored links

I went a year with no floppy drive, but something came along in which I needed one (to use Norton Ghost to copy my hard drive). So I broke down and bought one for cheap (I hate the things). It did what I wanted it to do, but now it doesn't read any other floppies. I get what I can only describe as a "click of death", and it does nothing (it makes a clicking sound, like its trying to read the disk, but the indicator light never comes on and it never reads the disk). I wonder 2 things:
Is this the sign of a dead floppy drive?
And, what would cause this to happen? I mean, I only had the thing for a couple days before it started with this crap...
Old Nov 28, 2002, 02:41 AM
Veteran

hi hmmmm good be knackered or infact just needs to be cleaned
give the disk drive a good blow to see if there any dust in it
all so might be worth using another disk to make sure its not the disk and
not your drive............
they normal last for a longtime but it sounds to be its got a dirty head
remember once they come out alined the head its a bin job

backup2k1(the name u can trust)
Old Nov 28, 2002, 05:57 AM
Veteran

When you say click of death....................do you m,ean that you click on the A: and it just reboots?
Old Nov 28, 2002, 05:58 AM
Veteran

When you say click of death, do you mean it reboots after you clicked on the A: as I have had that problem in work with Win 2000 and if it is the same problem I will e-mail you the .exe that resolves the issue
Old Nov 28, 2002, 08:07 PM

If its not clear, this floppy drive was brand new and used it only to boot into Norton Ghost. I don't think there could be a dirt and dust buildup already.
And by click of death, I don't mean it restarts the pc, it just doesn't read the disks, but it makes a sound like it is. I have tried different floppy disks, but none of them are read by the drive.
Actually, the very 1st thing it did was always have the "in use" indicator light on, but it still wasn't reading anything. I tried unplugging and reattaching the cable, but after this, the indicator light no longer even comes on, and I get the click of death. I should try if I can get it back to when it had the light on, I guess that would mean its not dead (but still not useable).
I'll barely ever use it, but it'd be nice to have it work for more then a day or 2 if I need it in the future...
Old Nov 28, 2002, 08:13 PM
Veteran

I have gone thru a few i my time and it sounds like toast to me....JMO