CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 02, 2002, 06:22 AM
Veteran

Default hard drive possibly faulty - how do i test it

hi
the hard drive in my dads pc seems to be playing up , i suspect it is the hard drive but i would like to know a way to test it to be sure its faulty before i replace it for him , how can i do this ? It wont boot into windows so would running scandisk be suffice or is there another utility i can put on a floppy to test the hard drive ?

Problem started when it would not boot into windows , booting into dos and using scandisk found many errors , i formatted the hard drive and done a fresh install for him and it was ok and scandiak found no errors after this , a week later its back to not booting to windows , does this sound as though the hard drive is losing data or something like that , if so how do i test it ?
Old Dec 02, 2002, 09:53 AM
Veteran

Rabby
You can download utilities from the HDD's manufacture's website to test the drive's health and status.
These utilts will test the drives at hardware level, so if it comes back clean, at least you know its a softwareor setup problem.

HTH
Old Dec 02, 2002, 10:29 AM
Veteran

cheerz i think its an ibm but will check and make sure and try their utility to test it , cheerz m8 .
Old Dec 03, 2002, 07:04 AM

My son had 3 drives going down one after the other in the last month.
All IBM.
It appears a bad batch of IBM are around.
Changed to Maxtor and problem vanished.
Old Dec 03, 2002, 10:24 AM
Veteran

its a fujitsu , will need to download a utility from there , cheerz guys .