CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 04, 2002, 01:37 AM
Veteran

Default bad sectors on hard drive

sponsored links

on one of my computers i'm using a salve hard drive just to store some backup files.

Recently winxp started and scanned that drive - drive d: and found and recorded some bad clusters.

I booted up into dos and ran scandisk and there they were - 5 bad clusters.

When I'm in winxp and i go to the properties of that drive - drive D: there's an option to check the drive for errors. And there are options to try to recover bad sectors etc.

I tried doing that bad everytime, it scans and says "complete". It never gives me a report of the bad sectors or if it fixed them or not.

Is there a better program that can scan the hard drive and report bad sectors or even try to repair them?

Anyway - I fomatted that hard drive. I changed it to NTFS just for the hell of it.
Now when i go to dos, dos doesn't recognize that drive since it's NTFS. And I can't use the winxp scandisk because it sux! and it gives me no info on bad sectors or not.
do you guys think that changin to ntfs made the bad sectors go away?
thanks -
plz help.
Old Dec 04, 2002, 01:43 AM
suspended

Most drives have a bad sector or two, it's no real drama as long as the O/S has flagged them as bad. It's only when you start developing new bad sectors on a regular basis or a bad sector emerges in the boot sector that you need to worry.
Old Dec 04, 2002, 04:17 AM

bad sectors are a part of life, like spam mail for example. a little is accepted.

you get toooo much.. time to do something.. keep monitoring it.. oh theres utils to read/ write ntfs partitions in dos. they arent free. although theres free read ones. just the write option costs $
Old Dec 04, 2002, 07:11 AM

Hi there,

Maybe this freeware program will be of some use to you.

Sector Edit
"Sector edit allows you to access the physical sectors on a hard or floppy disk. The program allows you to make changes, copy data, export/import to a file, print or even search the entire disk given information. This program can be used to repair or backup information on your drive and also see how a disk is really laid out. On Windows 9x system access is only allowed to Logical Drives which means that the hard disk partition table is not accessable, however under Windows NT/2000/XP this areas are accessable. All other areas of the disk such as the boot sector, directory tables, allocation tables are all viewable on all systems. Caution should be used when making changes, changing information directly on the disk can make the information stored on the disk unreadable."
********homepages.ihug.com.au/~roadkil/index.htm
Old Dec 04, 2002, 12:18 PM
Veteran

Noamkrief, the Scandisk built into XP will only report new harddrive errors. Those 5 clusters have already marked and reported to you as bad so it's not going to continue reporting the same error everytime you run scandisk. It's now ignoring those 5 clusters.
Old Dec 05, 2002, 10:36 AM

partition magic 8 will do the job never used it for badsectors as i dont have any but its a really good program for dual booting and changin/formatting your h/d even resizing partitions are creating multiple drives on one h/d.