CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 04, 2002, 03:54 AM
Veteran

Default Are modchips legal in the Uk?

sponsored links

If you take a look at this post, you'll understand where I`m coming from:

***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=224902

If your too lazy to read that, then basically I took my ps2 in for repair, lost the ps2, and are offering me one without a modchip.

Now, I want a ps2 with a modchip (obviously), but how will that stand up in court? Will they just say that modchips are illegal and that the shop has the right to give me back a ps2 without a modchip, or will it be seen as theft/ undue negligence on the shops part?

I need your advice because I`m waiting for a call back from Trading Standards and dont know wether or not to mention the modchip removal.
Old Dec 04, 2002, 09:17 AM

I got my modchip installed form a shop for which I got a 3 month guarantee and receipt. I've also seen people chipping PS2's at computer fairs and there are numerous websites out there that offer modchip installation.

If it was illegal, I don't think the above would have been possible. As far as I'm aware, selling/installing modchips is legit, pirating games is not.

Hope that helps ... and by the way, I read your other post and if I were you, I would go all the way to court with that shop.

GOOD LUCK!
Old Dec 04, 2002, 09:54 AM
Veteran

Bit of a grey area I think..

A mod-chip circumvents the PS2 protection system allowing you to play games not meant for that region and also back-ups of games. I suppose its YOUR PS2 and you've paid for it so in theory you can do anything you like to it..

Its a tough question and I doubt anyone has the right answer to it.

If selling and/or installing the chips was legal over here then Sony wouldn't have taken the developers of the Neo chips and Messiah chips to court and get them shut down/fined.. Same with Lik-Sang.

Only people to have beaten Sony in this question were the Australian's who won by saying that the mod-chips were to play imported games that weren't available in Oz, they won the case!

Only my opinion and I may be wrong.....!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Dec 04, 2002, 11:43 AM
Veteran

I agree with everything both of you say, its a definite grey area, though it only seems to be sellers of chips who get targeted, and there may be a difference. Also, what is the most legit reason to have your ps2 chipped for? I got mine chipped initially to play imports, but would it be better to say it was for the removal of the "green screen" so that I could watch films through my scart lead?
Old Dec 04, 2002, 12:02 PM
Veteran

i wouldnt do it. i think it could and would raise suspicions, and who knows - maybe one day you would get a knock at your door and the Busys would have a search warrant.

Last edited by bleepster; Dec 04, 2002 at 02:36 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2002, 12:40 PM
Veteran

agree with bleepster, i wouldn't say anything about a modchip as who knows what could happen. get a new ps2 or whatever from them and get that one chipped