CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 05, 2002, 01:40 AM

Default arrgh! damn magic3 chip! No dvdr on new v7

sponsored links

Can anyone suggest something? I installed a magic3 on a v7 machine, and it boots everything except dvdrs. It'll boot original dvds, but when you put in a dvdr, it goes to the red 'insert playstation format disc' screen. The machine is brand spankin' new, so it shouldn't be a problem with the laser. I've tried the alternative 'w' spot, with no luck either. I've gone over all my connections and double-checked them with a multimeter, the wires are short, and the power and ground wires are heavy. I don't know what the heck is going on, but if someone can help me out that'd be great...

Thanks
Old Dec 05, 2002, 08:55 AM
Veteran

I too have a version 7 with a magic 3 chip
I traded my version 5 neo key + no soldere ps2 for a brand new version 7 and a magic 3 chip + $100

Only thing I got the chip from someone that performed a botched install he destroyed the 5V power pad on the chip and I ended up connecting to the point adjacent to the solder pad. He bought a new ps2 and couldnt wait for me to put the chip in for him

Sorry for rambling but back to your original question

I also had this problem with a all PS2 games dvd/dvd-r cd/cd-r all psone games original and cd-r worked fine

So I went back in and checked out continuity on all my cd\dvd controller points and they were fine but I decided to

1. take them off
2. I scrapped some more copper
3. used some flux and resoldered the little buggers back

Now everything will boot

Now my only problem is with booting consistency It boot psone cd\cd-r perfectly everytime.

However it only boots ps2 dvd\dvd-r about 70% of the time on the first boot. It always boots on the second boot

I am going to try the alternate "w" point this weekend and see what happens

Also in all the guides that I see they say check "s","a","w" then "a" thru "i"(these are the cd\dvd controller points) in that order when you have that problem

Dont know if this will solve your problem but its worth a shot

Last edited by ps2daddy; Dec 05, 2002 at 08:57 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2002, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the reply again ps2daddy. I know that points Q,T,U,V & R are fine. I checked them with a multimeter on their alternative points. I didn't however check the ones on the back of the board (D,G,H,I). Maybe I'll try and scrap away some more copper. I'm using a fibreglass burnishing brush and flux, but it's possible that one of the connections may need some 'touching up'.

I've also read that you may need a heavy wire on the reset lead? I dunno if that's true, but hey - it's worth a shot. If all else fails, I think I'm gonna try putting in a different magic3 chip and see if that makes a difference.

I'm beginning to wonder if these damn magic chips are sh*t. I've read a ton of threads about people having trouble with them. It's too bad, cause I've got a bunch of them to get rid of! arrrgh!

I'm gonna give this machine another go tonight when I get home, and if I get it working, I'll post what I did.

Thanks again...
Old Dec 05, 2002, 10:00 AM
Veteran

As far as I know you dont need a thicker wire for the reset for the magic 3

I hope you can get it going
Old Dec 05, 2002, 10:06 AM

k. I've also read that the guys at modchip.ca said that you don't need a heavier gauge wires for any of the connections. As long as they're short enough. But I use the heavier wires - just to be safe.

Cheers
Old Dec 05, 2002, 10:20 AM
Veteran

Me too on power and ground and I make them very short also my power is 22 guage wire and about 1.5 inches long and my ground is also 22 guage and about .7 inches long I soldered it to the gold edge of the board