CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 05, 2002, 10:12 PM

sponsored links

okay... I've tried EVERYTHING and the frickin' thing still won't boot dvdrs. I also noticed that dvd movies are really choppy. I think I read somewheres about putting a capacitor in the S line to smooth that out... but that's not my worry right now anyways...

I tried resoldering the leads on the copper contacts, and double-checked them using a multimeter and alternate points. Nothing. I tried using heavier wire on the reset lead. Nothing. I tried resoldering all the connections again. Nothing. Checked all the connections for continuity. Still nothing. Switched between the 'w' point and the 'w1' point. Guess what? Still nothing. The only thing I can think of that is left to do is to replace the chip with another one, but I'm sure that probably won't help me either.

I'm pretty much giving up. Unless some miracle happens, I'm convinced these Magic3 chips are absolute sh*t. Any other ideas? I would be more than happy to hear what you guys have to say!
Old Dec 06, 2002, 09:38 AM
Veteran

Well, for movies, you ahve to hold down reset while booting, that should take care of the choppiness. OR, boot like a game, you'll get a red screen, then hit eject, and eject again once tray is out. It should load skip free. As for the system, it sounds like you've checked everything and it should be fine... I guess back to the most simple question... do you know that your backups work? You'd have to try them out on another system. AND if they are on Princo or some other generic media, it's possible they will work on one system and not the next... I don't know what else there would be left to check, usually the v7s are the best to mod and usually trouble free...
Old Dec 06, 2002, 10:22 AM

I held down reset during booting to play the dvd. I only tried one though. I didn't have time to try another one, so it might have just been the one dvd. But I'll give your other method a try too.

As far as the dvdrs go, I think they might be on Princo media. I don't know for sure though because I have another guy burn them for me. I've only got two different dvdrs to use for testing, but they both work just fine in my v1 machine, so I figured they should work in a brand-spanking new v7 machine.

I'm gonna fart around with it some more this weekend. But I think the only other thing I can do is to try and replace the chip altogether. I'm at a loss as to what else to try.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 10:33 AM
Veteran

Before you replace the chip, I would REALLY recommend trying some games that are on Verbatim, Apple or TDK. Anything different. I've had brand new v7s that I've modded that will not read Princos. It's different from system to system...
Old Dec 06, 2002, 10:44 AM

Okay... will do. Thanks for the suggestion. You might have just saved me a whole lot of hair! hehe... I just figured that because it was a v7 it would read the Princo media (I checked... they are Princo). I'll have to order up a couple of verbatim discs and see if they work.

I'll keep you guys posted...
Old Dec 06, 2002, 02:29 PM
Veteran

Media makes no difference. In fact brand new systems should read discs that some older systems WON'T read. So don't waste your money on Apple, TDKs or Verbatims.

Well, it could either be a bad chip or something is wrong with the DVD controller.