CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 06, 2002, 02:40 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Moddogs, that is COMPLETELY untrue. I've had BRAND NEW v7s that won't read Princos that will read fine on my v4. True, the v7 should be able to read even discs that older ones can't, but this is not always the case. And why wouldn't you try one Verbatim or some sort of decent media before ripping apart your system to replace the chip??? That makes no sense.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 04:29 PM
Veteran

I'd have to agree with moddogs. I've done about 10 systems with the Apple chip and all work fine with Princo's. They were v4, v5, v6 & v7's.

If you're sure it's a media problem, un-mod it, sell it on eGay and buy a new system that will read Princos...why pay $4 - $5 for a blank dvd-r when you can pay $0.60 - $1.00?

I would try replacing the chip since you tested all the points. I heard someone saying the first batch had problems with dvd9's so maybe they had trouble with dvd-r too.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 04:41 PM

well... what I think I'm going to do for now is wait until I've got some better media. Then if that doesn't work, I'm going to try replacing the chip (with another magic3 - seeing as I got a bunch of them ). If that still doesn't work... well I don't know. Maybe I'll bug modchip.ca to try and refund these frickin' sh*t chips. Do you guys think they should be responsible for replacing these chips? I'm certain it's not a problem with the install. I've gone over EVERYTHING MANY times.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 08:47 PM
Veteran

I have to agree with madison with this one. Sony isn't consistance with their lasers. Back in the PSX days you would never find two systems with the POTS adjusted to the same position.

rAsTamAn, they SHOULD replace/refund you but I doubt they will (they are dicks if you ask me). I would say get them to exchange it with something better but they don't carry anything to upgrade to.
Old Dec 06, 2002, 10:08 PM

rAsTamAn, its interesting that you got your chip from Modchip.ca. I did too and I have basically the same problem also in a brand new V7. I have nearly done everything that you did too to fix it. I have been trying to get Modchip.ca to give me a RMA all week. They are not responding to me. Good luck.
Old Dec 07, 2002, 02:36 PM

I'm going to try some different media first and if that doesn't work, I'm gonna throw another chip into it. And if that still doeesn't solve the problem, then I'm gonna get on modchip.ca's case and try and get a refund or something. But I'll let ya guys know how I make out.

Cheers