CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 07, 2002, 10:04 PM

Default Whoah now...

sponsored links

Before you go ripping your PS2 apart searching for other chips and such. Take a look at your laser man. Yes I know this is a BRAND NEW PS2, but $ony is notorius(sp) for calibrating their lasers poorly (Especially on these newer machines) Do any of you remember when the V7's first came out and the Magic 2 was released claiming to have support for the new V7's? And a few TRUSTED veteran installers (LOD) started having issues with them claiming the chip didnt work as advertised? They came back later and said a minor laser adjustment was all that was needed. Im not saying that this is your solution - but it is definately something you might want to look into before blasting your Magic 3 into modchip hell.
Just a thought...
-Me
Old Dec 08, 2002, 01:20 AM

Can you point me to a tutorial? Thanks.
Old Dec 08, 2002, 08:24 PM

Default ~~| UPDATE |~~

Alright,... I decided to just go ahead and replace the chip with another one (magic3) and voila!... boots everything no problem. So it must have been a problem with the chip itself. I'm going to try putting it into another machine just to make sure, but all I did was unsolder the other one, and solder the new one in. So I'm sure it's a problem with the chip.

I actually did three other v7 (date code 2c) machines today (which are the same version and date code as the one I was having all this trouble with). I installed magic3 chips into all three of them and they all worked great. So I figured I would just try another chip in the troublesome machine, and it works just fine now.

Just thought I'd keep you guys updated. And once again, thanks for all your help and suggestions!
Old Jan 01, 2003, 10:28 PM

Damn that is shitty, i have been busting my *** with 2 version 7's that wont work no matter what, and all my points are good. My chips are from modchip.ca too...... I have installed 4 magic 3's, 3 into version 7's and 1 into a version 4. Only the version 4 works, all the others dont, 2 just froze, and now all i get is a black screen. I have put in more than 20 magic 2's with no problems, i am very frustrated/pissed..
Old Jan 25, 2003, 11:41 AM

Hello,

I am having the same type issues. It plays orginals fine but does not boot DVD-R. It does however boot DVD-R movies - this makes me believe my media should be fine and no lazer adjustments would be neccessary. I have checked all my solder points and they are clean and tested. Tryed the second w point recomendations. I also tried other media. Wiring is per specs.

One question, if the system is playing DVD without the remote upgrade is the chip working at some level. I know this is a dumb question and I should have tested prior to the mod chip install. I'm just trying to find out is the chip is performing any of it functions.

Please keep posting to this thread if you have run into similiar issues and found a fix.

Thanks Again!
Old Jan 25, 2003, 12:14 PM

Ford_prefect, the ps2 will play dvd-r movies completely unmodded (i checked it last night) so that is no indication that the modchip is functioning