CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 07, 2002, 04:39 PM
Veteran

Question

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by bubblegum [/i]
[B]I'm also interested in setting myself up repairing ps2s. Looking at the faulty ones on Ebay, there seems to be some common faults eg the drive will only play cds, no dvds, the unit powers on but will not read anything, the unit powers on, but the drawer does not eject etc.
Are these common faults easy to resolve, and basically can I make a bit of extra cash doing so. I've recently finished an electronics degree so should be well able if shown how.

Perhaps you could email me some troubleshooting guides/solutions to common probs ps2daddy?

Cheers again!

Bubblegum

BTW I am in the UK and as such would be looking mainly at PAL machines [/B]
Lots of times when a PS2 only plays cds or dvds it is a dirty or worn out laser if it is dirty they can be cleaned or some laser can be adjusted. If it is completely worn they have to be replaced I can e-mail you some tutorials on the subject of cleaning , replacing, and adjusting lasers.

Sometimes trays can get off of track and can be very easily put back on track. I can tell you how to do that also

Parts like trays and lasers can be easily replaced also

Most of it is pretty straight foreward adjusting ps2 dvd pots can be a headache sometimes and sometimes if you do it wrong can completely kill your laser lens.

Leave me your e-mail adress on a Private Message

Last edited by ps2daddy; Dec 07, 2002 at 04:41 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2002, 04:44 PM

Cheers mate, but how do I do a private message? Doh!
Old Dec 07, 2002, 05:31 PM
Veteran

Sorry you can choose my profile in one of my messages and send me an e-mail that way
Old Dec 17, 2002, 01:53 PM

there's a difference between 'adjusting lasers' and 'adjusting pots'? please explain, or if you'd like shoot me an e-mail with some tutorials, thankz.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:10 PM
Veteran

Well adjusting pots is one way you can adjust the laser there are 3 ways

You can adjust
1. The height of a laser with the white gear or
2. The azimuth screw.

The closer the laser is without touching the better it will read if its not shot. You have to mark where you started from as a reference point before you begin adjusting

3. You can also lower the resistance on the laser pots.

There is a pot (potentiometer) for the dvd and cd this boots voltage and can aid a ps2 in reading bad media or scratched games if the laser is not shot.

You also have to mark your original starting point with a multimeter or use and oscilliscope to do this efffectively adjust too much can kill it forever

I'll try to send you some tutorials when I get home
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:55 PM

please do, here's the problem i'm having...
***********.cdrom-guide.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=226391
thankz.