CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:34 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

A lot of the problem are with the V7 machines, that may be that the majority of machines getting a Magic3 are V7; making the failure rate higher on V7s, or the chip has something that it does ot overcome on V7s. I have heard things like a Magic3 faulty in a V7 works in a V5, but some chips will just not work.
But make sure you are using thick wire (about 20AWG) on the GND, RESET, SCEX ect., and on one site it was recommended that you use a 28AWG for the majority of the points. Be sure to use as short of wire as possible.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 11:41 AM

Why would you need a thicker gauge wire on the SCEX lead? As far as I understand, it's just a data line - which shouldn't require a heavier wire. I've also read that the RESET lead should be a heavier gauge too (which I'm guilty of), but isn't that also a data connection? I would think that the only two connections that would require the heavier gauge wire would be the two power leads (5v & GND).
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:41 PM
Veteran

You're right, the 5v and GND should definitely be heavier gauge, but I have found that some systems work better with heavier gauge on the reset. Why is this? I have no idea, but it works. Also, make the GND and 5V as short as possible.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 12:45 PM

word up mad... I've read that somewheres (probably in one of your posts) so I always use a heavier gauge wire on the 5v, gnd, and reset leads. I've never heard of using the heavier wire on anything else (like the SCEX lead). Maybe I'll have to give that a try next time I run into problems...
Old Dec 20, 2002, 03:08 PM

I am going to get a magic3 installed tomorrow on my v1 ps2, the seller says that it works on some ps2 v1. What do you guys think?
Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:29 PM
Veteran

rasta- yeah, I don't think it's necessary on the SCEX or any of the other ones. It all depends on how long you cut the leads. Personally, on the Magic 3, I do not like placing it where they recommend. Too much heat in that area. Put it in the open part, same place you'd install an Apple chip (I hope someone knows what I'm talking about ) Then you have to use the Apple V5 point and Ground point for length, but works much better IMHO.