CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox > Xbox Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:28 AM

Post Flashing Matrix modchip

sponsored links

I've got a v1.1 xbox. I'd like to update the bios through the DVD drive. Apart from changing to mode 4 on the matrix. What else do I need to do?

Thanks for any help.
-Dexterm99
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:30 PM
Veteran

You mean update, meaning it has an old BIOS on it right? Not trying to flash it without any BIOS on it?

Because if you didn't flash it at all, it's not going to boot your backup.

Updating to new one should be fine. I assume you know what you are doin, since you mentioned mode 4.

Anyway, it should be fine, just flash it through evox menu on a DVD-R/CD-RW with the BIOS you want.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:16 PM

Thanks.
I orig****y put evox v3.6 on. dident work. I've now put Evox D.6 on the matrix and that won't work either. The xbox was built in Sep 2002 and the above bios should work.

What I have noticed is that it goes red in mode 1, but the chip is aligned correctly. When I switch to mode 2 it goes green. The first game I put in works. Then once I take the game out and try another one, it won't play backups anymore. Strange!!
have you ever come across this problem?

I've been looking around for info, some think that the martix doesent work with 1.1 and others do.

HELP!
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:42 PM
Veteran

it should be green in mode 1. That's strange that in mode 2 is green and works and doesn't work after.

Perhaps try it with D6 Bios but realign it so it's always green on mode 1
Old Dec 17, 2002, 02:52 PM

I'll try again to re-align it. Do you think that it maybe the bios? It's a newer xbox and I havent seen any posts of anyone with experience with a 1.1 xbox (sep'02) installing matrix. Has it been done before?
Thanks again
Old Dec 17, 2002, 03:20 PM
Veteran

My bad, people say just use mode2 and make sure it's always green.

I can't link to another forum

but here are some posts from it

heh ull get ur matrix working no time if it helps put your matrix in mode 2 forget testmode it aint worth **** on 1.1
for 3 days i was testing my matrix with the xbox on no problems for me but you will waste a lot of time using testmode to align the chip, well i did anyway
insert the matrix and screw\align it into place select mode 2 make sure you can move the matrix slightly and turn on xbox
let the xbox do its thing now dont turn it off
you need to now start moving the matrix around if you have 2 soldered holes it will kinda lock into position now when you are close to aligning the chip in mode 2 you will see the red led going brighter and fading depending on chip movement keep moving the matrix and after a minute or even sooner you may see flashes of green from the led you need to align it so the green led light is constantly very bright if it looks dim its not aligned this is very important once you have the bright green light screw the matrix down take your hands away and make sure the light is still bright green, your xbox should work how you want it too

im gonna dl the ntsc player later but its very strange cos i have 2 xbox in front of my they are both pal october 1.1 but have the matrix and cheapmod why would it happen i havnt found out even after checking options im gonna dl the ntsc converter and try that out ill let you know what happens good luck man

some people filled the solder "holes" on v1.1

the guys who say solder the holes are 100 percent correct
for some reason the matrix chip isnt 100 percent no solder for the xbox 1.1. now i know some people have had no probs fitting a matrix to a 1.1 and others [like me] have found it a knightmare
the chip just doesnt sit right no matter what u do which leads me to believe there may be different spec matrix chips flying around
some better for 1.1 than others.....
after much matrix aligning, threading screw holders, sc****** the tracks around d0 and ultimately trying to force the matrix into place i filled in holes 1 and five [any combo with a space should do] with a drop of solder just to level the chip [theres no need to solder all holes] hey presto it was aligned within 30 seconds
there is clearly some design fault in some matrix chips concerning the 1.1 board although these chips install in under 30 seconds in a 1.0 board for obvious reasons, i installed the same chip into my friends 1.0 in record time 15 seconds or summing
so the bottom line is if you have a matrix and 1.1 that u cant get working you have no choice but to solder 2 or more holes closed or else the continual aligning will damage the tracks around d0
especially if your not careful with the nut and bolt method do not tighten the chip while it is misaligned
after all the heartache [3 days] itook the plunge soldered and am now very happy with my matrix