CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 20, 2002, 04:29 PM

Default Bandwidth limiting

sponsored links

are there any programs that can run in the background that can limit the amount of bandwidth a computer can get a certain port? there is someone on my home network taking quite a bit of bandwidth by downloading a lot of stuff, and with 4 other computers on the network, this is slowing us all down. i want to put a program on either the persons computer, or on the computer sharing the internet connection, but i dont want anyone else to know about it. the OS is XP for pc sharing net connection, and xp for the person i want to limit
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:26 PM
Veteran

Hi Pyro47 dunno if this will help you its a simple reg hack I came across,

I assume if you can remove the 20% XP reserves you can also increase it??

this is for broad band connections. I didnít try it on dial up but might work for dial up.
1.make sure your logged on as actually "Administrator". do not log on with any account that just has administrator privileges.
2. start - run - type gpedit.msc
3. expand the "local computer policy" branch
4. expand the "administrative templates" branch
5. expand the "network branch"
6. Highlight the "QoS Packet Scheduler" in left window
7. in right window double click the "limit reservable bandwidth" setting
8. on setting tab check the "enabled" item
9. where it says "Bandwidth limit %" change it to read 0
reboot if you want to but not necessary on some systems your all done. Effect is immediate on some systems. some need re-boot. I have one machine that needs to reboot first, the others didn't. Don't know why this is.

This is more of a "counter what XP does" thing. In other words, XP seems to want to reserve 20% of the bandwidth for its self. Even with QoS disabled, even when this item is disabled. So why not use it to your advantage. To demonstrate the problem with this on stand alone machines start up a big download from a server with an FTP client. Try to find a server that doesn't max out your bandwidth. In this case you want a slow to medium speed server to demonstrate this. Let it run for a couple of minutes to get stable. The start up another download from the same server with another instance of your FTP client. You will notice that the available bandwidth is now being fought over and one of the clients download will be very slow or both will slow down when they should both be using the available bandwidth. Using this "tweak" both clients will have a fair share of the bandwidth and will not fight.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 05:47 PM
Veteran

I tried the above method Nuttapper suggested but couldn't get it to work in the end. I was after a similar setup to you where I could limie bandwidth by IP/port etc. The only way I could get it to work was to use the UNIX operating system FreeBSD which has a cool firewall called ipfw which does exactly what I needed.

Obviously that would mean removing XP which I doubt you'll want to do as its fairly extreme. The only other method I can think of is some sort of proxy server which you could force people to go through and limit bandwidth with that somehow. Should be possible but I've never seen it done.

If you do find anything, please let me know.
Old Dec 20, 2002, 07:03 PM

ive got one piece of software, but it will only minimize, and not got to the sys tray or hide
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:57 AM
Veteran

What is it?