CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Dec 21, 2002, 06:02 PM

Default burning problems with liteon 48125s

sponsored links

I've posted a similar thread recently but this gives a bit more info to the problem on a different model (was 40125s)....

I used to have a Philips 8x writer which, although not burn-proof, proved very reliable after dowloading newer firmware. It was compatible with almost any discs I used (tried traxdata gold, kodak gold, cheap leda cds, datasafe, verbatim.....). These discs work in anyone's players.

Now I have a liteon, it burns "successfully" and the discs play in most players I have but not all - which is very worrying given that they're all supposed to be cdr compatible and are new. They won't play (can't seem to read toc??) on my new panasonic sl30 mp3/cd player which has no difficulty in reading anything produced on another writer.

The real puzzling factore is that I can write from the same source disc to the same (batch) media at the same speed and out of the writers owned by family/friends it is the liteon produced discs that don't work on my player. Therefore, I never have any peace of mind that my back-ups will work on the majority of players. I've tried kodak gold, verbatim datalife plus, datasafe silver premium, infinity, the liteon branded disc that came with it, fws and vivastar! I've tried 4,8 and 16x.

Am I missing the point somewhere? It writes data fine. Backed up my son's ps1 game - no probs.

Does it write the toc differently to that read by some players? Is the burn not good enough for some players? I'm confused....

I returned the liteon 40125s and have just received the 48125s as a replacement so it's a little early to say. It did seem to me that some comments on the forums generally pointed to July 2002 manufactured 40125s models but this is just an assumption.

Old Dec 22, 2002, 05:40 PM

how about I tuen this post on its head...

can anyone successfully write audio cds from mp3s on their liteon....
1. on what media
2. what software and settings
3. what speed
4. is the finished cd compatible with a wide range of players - ie are you confident each time you burn?

any help would be most welcome 'cos this problem (especially same media, same speed, same software BUT different writer (liteon no good) produces different playability on the same player....

thanks all and a merry xmas.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 05:58 PM
Veteran

I have burnt audio CD's from mp3's with my Lite-On 40125W at 40X on Princo CDR's using Nero without problems.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 06:09 PM

cheers druid.
is it true that the liteons are extremely fussy with which media they like for audio (especially)?
I've tried several different types which are ok for data but compatibility with seemingly quality cdr compatible audio players is very inconsistent.

to review I've tried different speeds and set up different writers against each othe under the same conditions and the liteon produced cds are the most incompatible with the players.

this problem has hounded me - and many others if you visit many forums including liteon - for a month. I sent my 40125s back only to get a 48125s performing the same.

ps does disabling smartburn help matters - haven't tried yet - running out of media!

merry xmas
Old Dec 22, 2002, 07:45 PM
Veteran

Disabling SmartBurn will just let you burn media at what ever speed you like.

Pretty much the only media I use is Princo. Been using them for years on several different burners without any real problems.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 05:04 PM

have got the lite-on 40125w .doesnt seem to be to fussy on media except my last lot of blanks which were datasafe multispeeds which refused to burn at over 24x.could try disabling smartburn but 24x is faster enough 4 me 4 now.