CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Closed Thread

Old Jan 03, 2003, 04:26 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

You tried installing service pack 1?

Those speedtouch usb modems are annoying. They work ok if everything is just so. Mine used to work fine unless I was sending at max rate then the moden would crash after about 20 mins!

Best bet is to get a modem / router. They connect through a network card so you will need one of those as well.
If you have to send a logon id & pwd to connect make sure you get a modem that supports PPPoE / PPPoA.

Try [URL=***********.adslguide.org/qanda.asp?faq=DSLHardware]ADSL guide for more info.
N.B. this guide is based on UK setups.

Last edited by Richskie; Jan 03, 2003 at 04:32 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2003, 05:29 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by rabby2 [/i]
[B]cheerz smiffy what is a dlink dsl504 router ? are they chaep and do they perform better than the asdl modems ? [/B]
Hi m8

Well I can only speak from personal experience and say that it was a excellent investment for me (108.75 inc vat & del from e buyer).

Basically (Very) it's a 4 port switch/router,built in firewall,web browser based software. The setup is really straightforward,connect to ADSL Line, plug in your NIC and fire up your web browser and type in 192.168.0.1 to access the setup software.

In terms of performance I cant say that I find it any different to the Alcatel modem but it does allow me to have my systems at home on the web at the same time using ICS (keeps 3 kids happy).....

I have made tech support calls, not hardware related,and have been impressed with the service so far....

hth

Heres a link to the review

***********.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2001/q4/dlink_dsl504.asp

Smiffy
Old Jan 03, 2003, 06:34 AM
Veteran

Can i ask one question :-

Is your USB hub powered by the PC or by the mains ?
Old Jan 03, 2003, 04:19 PM
Veteran

my hub is powered by the mains m8

today my isp told me im on my own , they only stock and supply the speedtouch usb modem , and they dont charge for it (apparently) so i cant even sell it as they will want it back if i ever cancel , so even though they have supplie dme with a modem that is not very compastable with the hardware on my pc i have to buy a modem out of my own pocket , damn cheek so it is.
So it looks like i need to buy one to suit my needs .
I was told it needs to be dsl compatable modem and its for a cable connection and not a bt connection , so whats my best / cheapest options here .
Old Jan 03, 2003, 05:15 PM
Veteran

I actually have a alcatel usb modem and a via chip set, i've had no problems what so ever.

I did read somewhere that these things pull maximum current through your usb, so some motherboards will be fussy, the write up went on to say get a usb hub that is externally powered, i'll see if i can find the info it might be of some use.
Old Jan 03, 2003, 05:47 PM
Veteran

I tried running a speedtouch modem through a powered hub (Belkin) but the power regulator in the hub just overheated after about 40mins.
Closed Thread