CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - Xbox > Xbox Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 21, 2003, 05:10 PM

sponsored links

barracuda
2) There are no 'cheapmods' with banks of 512k 0r 1meg. maybe you are confusing cheapmod with xecuter2.

The xecuter 2 uses a conventional parallel flash part and a cpld (lattice) to multiplex the data from parallel to serial. Basically the xecuter 2 uses a couple of chips to emulate what a conventional LPC flash part achieves.

The non A part is the only one that will work for the reasons I stated earlier.

3) Not sure what you mean about the '9' chain. Basically pins 7 and 8 need to be linked into 3,4,5,6, etc in order to enable flashing.

5) Theres no need to hotswitch it, pretty pointless really seeing as the bootloader only uses the lpc chip for the 1st seconds of bootup. All you can do at present with any mod for live is to swich it off and play originals for live. MS seem to use a kernel checking program that looks at the bios code of the box, ifs its not their retial bios then they ban the box by its serial no.

6) You should be able to obtain these quite easily like I said. The part was actually end of life until SST miracously bought it back to life for one particulalrly large OEM that needs more time to switch to the newer A version of the part. Lucky for the us that happened

goto recognised SST channels and they will sort you out. you may have to wait upto 2 weeks for delivery though.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 01:40 PM

How are you flashing them at the mo Psycho Jack??

Are you using a homemade programmer? Or is it possible to flash them in situ in the xbox by socketing them - booting the xbox, removing chip and replacing with a new one, then running the evox flash util?
Old Jan 22, 2003, 02:19 PM
Veteran

Yeah, question 3 is a little difficult to explain because of all the different connections.

Lets define the connections:
(A) Chip connections: the actual pins on the sst49lf020 PLCC chip(IC) numbered 1 - 32

(B)LPC Connections from the chip(B): the 9 "collaborative" points of the Chip to be connected to the LPC bus(the points that result after all the bridging[chaining] is done)

(C)LPC Bus points: the 9 points on the XBox motherboard

So when you say 7 & 8 should go to the 9B chain, do you mean 7 & 8 from A or B? And they would have to be switched back to their original position after flashing is completed, right?
Old Jan 22, 2003, 05:40 PM

wraper

I use a proper programmer for flashing these m8. The homemade programmers are much to slow, believe about 5 mins a device.

I would not recommend hot swapping these in an xbox, sounds like a quick way to screw a box to me. You may get away with it if you switch off the device before removing it, recommend using good quality switches though for this at least try to damp down the spikes that may be generated by the switches as a result of switching while the box is on.

barracuda

Pins 7 and 8 on A m8. You can leave these permanently connected in the chain if you wish, just means that the chip can be flashed at any time. that should not be a prob unless MS start playing silly buggers and try to flash chips with retail bios. Think this unlikely though.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 11:27 AM
Veteran

Well, from my understanding, to switch off the LPC mod, all you have to do is put a switch between the ground and the d0 point. The retail BIOS will take over if it's not shorted out on the system.

Not sure of the size of the X2 BIOS. My guess is that it's 256K. They just double it up on 512K EEPROMS when programming.

Our homebrews are supplied to us. They are on Atmel EPROMS (write once chips). Not sure of the databank size.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 01:56 PM

Cheers for that info Psycho Jack