CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:31 AM

Default major problem

sponsored links

i have something wrong with my comp. it was fine last night, but when i got up this morning, i turned it on and win xp didnt boot. it started to, then a blue screen appeared and displayed "UNREADABLE BOOT VOLUME"
it suggested i restart my comp and start in safe mode, but even when i select safe mode, i still get the error and i cannot enter windows. i cant seem to get it no matter what i do.
It said that it may have been caused by adding new hardware or software to the comp, i install new things daily to check out new programs so im not too sure what could be causing this.
What do u think is wrong here? and what can i do to fix it? If i could just bypass that screen and get into windows.. i could probably do some work in there.. but like i said, i cant do it because it wont even boot windows to begin with. Plz help me out.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 12:17 PM
Veteran

Here you go M8, straight from the XP help file: your gonna need a boot floppy, a win 98 one would do I guess

Feature: Recovery Console
When to use it: If using Last Known Good is unsuccessful, and you cannot start the computer in Safe Mode. This method is recommended only if you are an advanced user who can use basic commands to identify and locate problem drivers and files. To use the Recovery Console, restart the computer with the installation CD for the operating system in the CD drive. When prompted during text-mode setup, press R to start the Recovery Console.
What it does: From the Recovery Console, you can access the drives on your computer. You can then make any of the following changes so that you can start your computer:
Enable or disable device drivers or services.
Copy files from the installation CD for the operating system, or copy files from other removable media. For example, you can copy an essential file that had been deleted.
Create a new boot sector and new master boot record (MBR). You might need to do this if there are problems starting from the existing boot sector.
Available on: All versions of Windows XP.
For more information, see Recovery Console overview.

[b]Recovery Console overview[/b]
If safe mode and other startup options do not work, you can consider using the Recovery Console. This method is recommended only if you are an advanced user who can use basic commands to identify and locate problem drivers and files. In addition, you must be an administrator to use the Recovery Console.

Using the Recovery Console, you can enable and disable services, format drives, read and write data on a local drive (including drives formatted to use NTFS), and perform many other administrative tasks. The Recovery Console is particularly useful if you need to repair your system by copying a file from a floppy disk or CD-ROM to your hard drive, or if you need to reconfigure a service that is preventing your computer from starting properly.

There are two ways to start the Recovery Console:

If you are unable to start your computer, you can run the Recovery Console from your Setup CD.
As an alternative, you can install the Recovery Console on your computer to make it available in case you are unable to restart Windows. You can then select the Recovery Console option from the list of available operating systems on startup.
After you start the Recovery Console you will have to choose which installation you want to log on to (if you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system) and you will have to log on with your administrator password.

The console provides commands you can use to do simple operations such as changing to a different directory or viewing a directory, and more powerful operations such as fixing the boot sector. You can access Help for the commands in the Recovery Console by typing help at the Recovery Console command prompt.

For information on starting and using the Recovery Console, see Related Topics.

Once you are running the Recovery Con

Last edited by Nuttapper; Jan 11, 2003 at 12:20 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 09:51 PM

thx alot man.. ill try it and if i cant get it to work.. ill chack back
Old Jan 11, 2003, 10:08 PM
Veteran

You might be a victim of a virus which damaged your boot sector.

Anyways, some things to try (at least to recover your data):
Boot up with your winxp CD and enter the recovery console (type R).
Type in "fixboot" at the prompt to reset the boot sector. Reboot.

If that doesn't work, try "fixmbr" which resets the master boot record with your partitions.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 06:27 PM

ok heres my problem... i got my comp with xp already installed... and i dont believe it came with a recovery disk, it wont boot off of a cd at startup. i tried to use the hp boot cd trhat came with my other hp comp. The only thing i can see working is if i could get it to read off of floppy (a drive).. because it tries to read it b4.. andthing else so i figure it will boot if there was something in the a drive to boot off of, is there something available on a floppy disk for my situation, it also tells me in this error. that i could try to press f8 when my comp starts up.. but when i do that.. nothing happens.
i need some quickl responses cuz i goota do someimportant work...
one last thing, if it comes down to losing all of my data, i dont care, its easy replaceable, plz help
Old Jan 12, 2003, 07:00 PM

have you tried making it so that in your bios it checks your cd drive for a disk. press "delete" (the one near the arrows) when it is counting your memory then go through the list of options. then change first boot: cd drive (or something similar). save and exit. then try having your cd in the drive and it will ask you if you want to boot from cd drive. (press any key) then go from there with the above info other people supplied.