CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 15, 2003, 05:54 PM

Thumbs up Network Linux with WinXP

sponsored links

I'm trying to network a linux Red Hat 8.0 boxed edition with Win XP Pro. The problem is I have no idea how to do so. Is there an easy way to this or a forum or Linux where i can learn how to config the network card on linux and set up my network .. I'm a new to Linux so please be gentle....

I have two PII's with a cross over cable connecting both of them. I can't really tell you what NIC card are right

I used WinXp to create a Network Setup disk, and then tired load it on Linux... But i'm so bad at linux i don't know load the "netsetup.exe" create by XP on the floppy... I thought if I type

$/mnt/floppy/ netsetup ... it would load.

It doesn't load the disk. I can't do the "ls" command on either god i'm crap

Thanx Guys
Old Jan 15, 2003, 07:06 PM
Veteran

You need to install SAMBA on your Linux machine. You also need to have an account on your Windows box that matches a user/pw on your Linux box...

You can get info on samba [URL=********hr.uoregon.edu/davidrl/samba.html][b]here.[/b]

Also - www.samba.org

It can be a bit complicated, but once you get the hang of it, it isn't so bad. I would write more, but I am at work right now. Besides, there is so much to SAMBA, I couldn't hope to cover everything. I would say read as much as you can from the above links and just play around with it. Also, there is a program somewhere called LinNeighborhood I think that gives you a sort of "Network Neighborhood" type front end for SAMBA. By the way, the NEtwork Setup Disk for XP will not work on Linux. Linux execuables are different from Win32 executables. You will need to manually set your IP addresses in the same range, etc. Hope this has at least been a little helpful for you. Do some investigating and reading and post back and let us know how you do.

Zack
Old Jan 17, 2003, 12:03 AM

You can try doing this:

Enable Samba Server Service
(open an X window)

1. On Redhat Linux, go to directory /etc/samba/

2. Use text editor to modify smb.conf file(pico smb.conf)

3. In the [global] section of the smb.conf file, change the workgroup name.

a. For example: workgroup= homenetwork

b. Find the section where it has your NICS/ example: interfaces = 1.111.6.27/24 1.111.7.27/24(change these to your network address)

c. Un-comment (remove ‘;’, if there is one) the line [b]“encrypt passwords = yes”[/b]

d. Un-comment (remove ‘;’, if there is one) the line of[b] “smb passwd file=/etc/smbpasswd”[/b]

e. Save the smb.conf file

f. Type “smbpasswd –a homenetwork” to setup the samba password for homenetwork user

g. Type “(your password)” and retype it again.

h. Type[b] “./etc/rc.d/init.d/smb restart”[/b] to restart the smb server service.

You can also check out this link to help you out if you don't quite get what I type...

***********.redhat.com/support/resources/print_file/samba.html

To configure your NIC, click on the GNOME(the thing that looks like a foot). Then find [b]Network Configuration[/b], not sure which part of the menu it's on, you'll find it... It'll pull up your network card(eth0). You can click on edit, and configure your IP addy from there...

HTH...

Islasian4Life

Last edited by Islasian4Life; Jan 17, 2003 at 12:07 AM.