CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 19, 2003, 08:32 PM

Question Networking a New House???

sponsored links

Im in the process of building a new house and I am wondering what hardware I will need to wire my whole house and where to buy what is suggested? The house is a 6000 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 4 bath home. I am wanting to put 2 eithernet connections in each bedroom with one connection in each bath room. Would also like to have 2 connections in each of the 2 living rooms, pool room, dinning room, office and kitchen. The house is only one floor with a finished basement. 2 of the bedrooms, 2 baths,office and 1 living room are located upstairs with the kitchen and dinning room. The other 2 bed rooms, 2 baths, the pool room and the other living room are located in the finished basement. I have a desktop in the office and each one of my kids have one in their bedroom. Me and My wife each have a laptop and my son who is in college but lives at home also has a laptop. I dont know if this is possible but i would like to be able to bring my laptop into the living room connect to the internet or just to the network. Then move into the bedroom and connect there after leaving the living room with out doing any setup each time I move. If this is possible what all would I need to do with the laptops to be able to move them around? all the computers are running 2000, ME, or XP. What all hardware would I need to run this network, for example routers, hubs, switches, cat5 or cat6 cables?? Is cat 6 over doing it or would it be nice to have for future networks? is there any companys that you know of that could come and install what I just mentioned? if so any info on the like names or websites would be greatly appreciated! Thanx For the Help sorry there is so much information but i really need help with this soon So I can get it already to go in the next month or so! Thanx again!

Bass
Old Jan 19, 2003, 09:44 PM
Veteran

No problem. Get a good switch and out it in the attic or office. Run the CAT5 cable throughout the house to the walls for RJ-45 connectors. (CAT5 should be more than adequate) Run all the cables into a punchdown block or something wherever the switch is. Then plug them all into ther switch. Then you would just need patch cables in each location so you can plug from the wall into the laptops/PC's. Also, if you are going to have a broadband connection such as DSL or cable modem, you can have that run into a LinkSys broadband router or something like that to provide internet for all your PC's. I would go with XP if you are going to use Windows. You could also think about getting a wireless access point and you could put boosters throughout the house so you could have wireless anywhere in the house. If you do that, I would recommend skipping the Linksys and investing in a little bit moreexpensive firewall/router that has a DMZ (demilitarized zone) that you can plug up the wireless to, that way you can have maximuim security on the wireless. Of course, a Linksys will do fine, I am just mentioning for max security. You should be set either way though!! Reply if you have any more questions.

Good Luck,

Zack

[img]***********.mindshatter.com/zack/smanback1.gif[/img]

Last edited by zack371; Jan 19, 2003 at 09:47 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:11 PM

Thanx for the help Zack! Do you have any idea where I could buy all of this stuff that your talking about? I was planning on running it all to the basement to kinda of like a control panel where my coax for cable, and phone lines were run to. I would like to have the wall plates with a coax, phone and eithernet in the same plate. do you know any website where i could buy this stuff? also do you know any companys that specialize in this stuff? thanx again zach anyone else with more info please help!

Bass
Old Jan 20, 2003, 04:49 PM

bump
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:17 AM

placs that occur to me for this stuff are keene electronics for video/audio related stuff and Blackbox for Networking Equipment.

www.keene.co.uk
***********.blackbox.co.uk/

obviously these are assuming you are in the UK, Blackbox are worldwide, Keene UK only.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 01:52 PM

Thanx DNRC Im in the states though! Does anyone have any US Sites?? Thanx for the help again! Can anyone else answer my questions?

Bass