CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:23 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by padawan [/i]
[B]being that magics are 5v chips, it probably popped one of the 5v fuses...fuses can pop at any time, just like auto fuses, they r there to basically shut down that part of the circuit and protect the rest of the more sensitive parts....trust me, it's good to have fuses....anything coulda caused it, any kind of surge in power that the fuse couldn't handle....I've seen a psx blow up cuz people lost power to their house then it came right back on, fried it....

Just probe the board fuses with an ohmmeter. if u get a 0 it's good, u get 1 it's popped.... [/B]
I've never had to check a surface mount fuses before. Why wouldn't the meter give you Hi-Z instead of 1 ohm? (or is it set to fuse checking?)
Old Jan 23, 2003, 09:22 AM
Veteran

The meter will be set to Ohms mate so a 1 on the display means Infinity, i.e open circuit. A 0 on the display is a dead short, so hopefully when you check the fuses you should be getting 0's..

Got your mail Nick and have to agree with whats already been said so far.

I had a V4 machine in with similair problems but it had been dropped and a surface mount resistor had actually come off the motherboard. Soldered it back on but still had the black screen. Removed the chip completely ( including wires ) and retouched the solder points with flux and touched them with the soldering iron. This got the machine back up and running again.

Hopefully it will be a fuse as they are easier to replace!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:07 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

ok, thanks.. ill check it when i can get myself some cables for the multimeter i have borrowed... is there any specific side that i put the red or black lead on?? i wouldnt have thought it mattered since it was isolated from the rest of the circuit, but just incase!

thanks again

nick
Old Jan 23, 2003, 10:11 AM
Veteran

Nope, no specific side mate. Only checking a fuse.

Mike ( Spagboll ) ...
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Spagboll [/i]
[B]The meter will be set to Ohms mate so a 1 on the display means Infinity, i.e open circuit. A 0 on the display is a dead short, so hopefully when you check the fuses you should be getting 0's..

Got your mail Nick and have to agree with whats already been said so far.

I had a V4 machine in with similair problems but it had been dropped and a surface mount resistor had actually come off the motherboard. Soldered it back on but still had the black screen. Removed the chip completely ( including wires ) and retouched the solder points with flux and touched them with the soldering iron. This got the machine back up and running again.

Hopefully it will be a fuse as they are easier to replace!

Mike ( Spagboll ) ... [/B]
I'll take your word for it (I've never seen an ohmmeter/multimeter that has a "1" representing Hi-Z, must be a European thing...hehe just kidding)
Old Jan 23, 2003, 02:08 PM
Veteran

I'm not in Europe, trust me it reads 1 or 0, your only checking for continuity with this method.