CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > CD-R & CD-RW
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 24, 2003, 06:47 PM

Unhappy cd/rw crackling since chageing to xp [philips; IDE-cd r/rw 16x10A; other] [phlips; IDE-cd r/rw 16x10

sponsored links

hello sorry to bother you but i have a problem that is driving me crackers.I have a philips cd/rw 16x40x10. and was working brilliant until i put XP on, since then when i try and burn music on clone on the audio section on playback it will be crackling,but in data it seems to work ok on about 3 cds then starts to jump.I also have nero but it would only read and then when it tryed to burn it would stop and say failed{failed on parremita}. i have updated nero,it burned but this also crackles. when i copy ps2 games and also vcd`s it works with no problems. i have a amd 1mzh, 256m and 30g hard drive.i was running win 98sec before this and everthing was fine,could it be my cd/rw on its way out.only i have only had this machine about 13 months and dont burn a great deal.
email [email]taburgess@yahoo.co.uk[/email]
Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:09 PM

I have a friend who has a MSI 48x16x48 dragon-writer who has the same problem when doing a direct copy of an audio cd. The resulting copy has crackling over the audio tracks. We thought it must have been faulty wiring as it only happens with on the fly burning. However he also runs windows xp and uses nero burning rom, so it must be a software problem with windows xp. I recomend you complain to microsoft.

Hope I was of some help.

Ryan B.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 10:24 PM
Veteran

You mentioned Clone, if that's CloneCD it's not the best program in the world for audio recordings. Great for other backups though. Since you also have similar problems using Nero then it occurs that the problem is not in the burning software. You also didn't mention your previous OS but NT based OS do not natively install an ASPI Layer which goes a long way in improving communications from ATAPI devices (CD/DVD-ROMs and burners) and on some systems it's critical. Windows XP prefers the ASPI Layer version 4.60 which the program ForceASPI can install on you system.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 06:45 PM

hello agian blackdiamondjr
what would be your best advice.i no nothing about ASPI layer version 4.60 & this is going way over the top of my head.by the way what does os&nt stand for.thanks for spareing the time and i will c u later alligater.
Old Jan 25, 2003, 10:27 PM
Veteran

Cool

My apologies for not being more forthcoming with a layman's explanation. OS is short for Operating System and NT is the Operating System on which Windows 2000 (NT 5.0) and Windows XP (NT 5.1) is based. Rather than getting into a lenghty and sometimes confusing explanation about ASPI, [URL=********aspi.radified.com/]Radified Guide to Updating ASPI Layer Drivers with Force ASPI should provide you with all the information including the utility to acomplish a 4.60 installation in the Windows XP environment.
The 4.60 ASPI layer usually cannot be installed on a system unless it has an Adaptec card installed, so the ForceASPI 1.7 utility will allow the installation without the usually required card.
Old Jan 30, 2003, 05:46 PM

hello BLACKDIAMONDJR
I updated my ASPI layer to 4.60 but to no avail.still the same problem. i did download a bit of burnning software called feurio cd writer. now this would do the same as nero but also had lots of advice.ie-it told me it could be my busmaster driver and to remove it and then re-install the original atpi driver.have you any advice on this as i do not understand how to get the original driver if i am getting rid of the one i have in my system.sorry again