CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Mac User
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 28, 2003, 10:57 AM
Veteran

sponsored links

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by Pugie [/i]
[B]THe funny thing is that I have had this burner for over a week and I have not tried to burn a dvd yet. I want to take care of the little things before i jump to the big things.

The error message I get is:
Apple DVD player cannot open because the required hardware was not found.

That's why I am wondering if I need to upgrade my card. But I have to know what kind of graphics card do I need. Of course I cannot get any fancy one if my memeory uses PC100. [/B]
I think you just need to update your os and apple dvd player

here are the agp sawtooth specs this is what I have
It use the agp version of the ATI RAGE 128 graphics card with 16MB of graphics memory

********docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58435&SaveKCWindowURL=http%3A% 2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com &showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false &sessionID=anonymous|163019410
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:08 AM

Well I had it updated to Jaguar but I thought it was something with the original DVD software so started over installing software from the original source.
I wish I had the AGP computer I have the first and crappiest G4********docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43111
1 Gig max memory not 1.5
G3 mother board using a G4 chip not G4 motherboard
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:35 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[B]Well I had it updated to Jaguar but I thought it was something with the original DVD software so started over installing software from the original source.
I wish I had the AGP computer I have the first and crappiest G4********docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=43111
1 Gig max memory not 1.5
G3 mother board using a G4 chip not G4 motherboard [/B]
Did you try OS 9.1?
As far as I know I have heard of people using dvd-r, and dvd-rom drives in the no agp g4 and the blue and white g3's you need a hacked version of the player 2.x

here is something that will help

I went to www.xlr8yourmac.com and you need a hacked version of apple dvd player 2.x (this is the easiest solution if you can find it I'll see what I can do )

goto the Drive Compatibility Database on that page and choose

Select a Drive Type: DVD-R dvd recorder

Select an Drive Brand: Leave blank

Select an Interface Type: IDE

Select a Mac Model: Apple G4 no AGP

You will find comments from 7 people that have run into this problem

Here is a synopsis of what you need to do

The pre-AGP systems (B&W G3 and Yikes) have DVD player 1.x installed normally - that's a hardware decoder player (requiring the Rage128 DVD card option and having that card/decoder module in the 66mhz PCI slot as noted in the main site info from 1999.).

You can either buy the OEM mpeg piggyback card (OWC had some in the past - they only fit the OEM Rage128 card however). or you can install the DVD 2.x players which are software decoders (still require a Rage128 or Radeon card, etc. as noted in the FAQ and past main site articles.) The FAQ's DVD section has a note on a web site with DVD Patches/Utils that has the patch to allow the DVD 2.x players to run on pre-AGP macs

Last edited by ps2daddy; Jan 28, 2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:47 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by ps2daddy [/i]
[B]Did you try OS 9.1?
As far as I know I have heard of people using dvd-r, and dvd-rom drives in the no agp g4 and the blue and white g3's you need a hacked version of the player 2.x

here is something that will help

I went to www.xlr8yourmac.com and you need a hacked version of apple dvd player 2.x(this is the easiest solution if you can find it I'll see what I can do )

[/B]
look at

Faqs section

The FAQ's DVD section has a note on a web site with DVD Patches/Utils that has the patch to allow the DVD 2.x players to run on pre-AGP macs
********web.tiscali.it/thinkdifferent/

Last edited by ps2daddy; Jan 28, 2003 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 08:42 AM

I think I figured it out I am missing a PCI Graphic card with a dvd decoder on it.

Thanks for all your help

NOw my problem is where to get an old card with that decoder on it.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 08:19 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[B]I think I figured it out I am missing a PCI Graphic card with a dvd decoder on it.

Thanks for all your help

NOw my problem is where to get an old card with that decoder on it. [/B]
The hacked apple dvd player 2.7 has a software decoder built in so you dont need the extra decoder card the link I gave you has software that works for your computer in OS 9 give it a shot I know it will work

If you check out the comments in the driver compatibilty guide on wwwxlr8yourmac.com that is how the 7 people there solved the problem without buying a new decoder card (if you have osx you have to boot into classic to play a movie, that is the only disadvantage to not having a decoder card)

here is one of the posts

Reviewer's Name: Joe Rivas
Date Submitted: 2/6/2002
Drive Type: DVD-R DVD Recorder
Drive Interface: IDE
Drive Brand: Pioneer
Drive Model Number: DVR-A03
Drive Size: 4.7GB (unformatted)
Driver Used: Apple Standard
Mac Model: Apple G4 No AGP
Mac OS Version: OS 9.2
Reader Comments: I purchased a Pioneer DVR-A03. I have a first generation G4 with a g3 motherboard running @ 350mhz. When I hooked up my DVD-R it works fine with Toast, and IDVD, however I cannot play DVD's to view them on my mac monitor. Any Ideas?
Thanks!
Joe
Mike Comments: I typed out a long explanation of things to check before I realized you selected the wrong Mac model (you selected G4 AGP - your comments indicate you have a G4 no AGP [Yikes G4/PCI model]. I corrected that selection.

The pre-AGP systems (B&W G3 and Yikes) have DVD player 1.x installed normally - that's a hardware decoder player (requiring the Rage128 DVD card option and having that card/decoder module in the 66mhz PCI slot as noted in the main site info from 1999.).

You can either buy the OEM mpeg piggyback card (OWC had some in the past - they only fit the OEM Rage128 card however). or you can install the DVD 2.x players which are software decoders (still require a Rage128 or Radeon card, etc. as noted in the FAQ and past main site articles.) The FAQ's DVD section has a note on a web site with DVD Patches/Utils that has the patch to allow the DVD 2.x players to run on pre-AGP macs.

Last edited by ps2daddy; Jan 29, 2003 at 08:39 PM.