CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:22 PM

Default Best No Solder mod chip?

sponsored links

What is the best no solder mod chip for the best price? I've seen the no solder mod/swap magic discs bundles on gamegizmo nad easybuy2000, are those good ones? Where else do you recommend I look?

Also, how easy is it to install/mess up? I can do it myself right (I have no experience). Is the chip reliable (will it cause problems with my cd tray or anything else) and are there any games that it won't work with now or in the future (besides DVD rips, I don't care for those)?
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:32 PM
Veteran

The nosolder/swap magic combo is a good investment if you do't know how to solder and wan to be able to play your dvdr backups. Just make sure you order the right one that will work with your PS2 version.
The only drawback is that the Swap Magic cd disc cannot be used to boot dvdrips (games bigger than 650 mb). I wouldn't worry about that because why would you be playing dvdrips if now you can have the full dvdr backup?

Order from gamegizmo. Easybuy2000 is going through some "rough " times right now.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 10:38 PM

game gizmo had mine out of stock (v4) so i ordered from easybuy2000.com. hope it works
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:42 PM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by littlepr [/i]
[B]The only drawback is that the Swap Magic cd disc cannot be used to boot dvdrips (games bigger than 650 mb). I wouldn't worry about that because why would you be playing dvdrips if now you can have the full dvdr backup?
[/B]
Actually the claim now is that with the version 2.0 cd-r Magic Sawp disk you can boot games over 650mb. Easybuy and other sites that sell the magic swap disks say it in the description.

I just got my set (the plug in chip and swap disks) from easybuy2000, and haven't had any problems with cd-r games so far.
Then again, the only cd-r games i've tried are Gran Turismo 3, Midnight Club Racing, Smugglers Run 2, State of Emergency, & The Sims. Not sure if any of those are over 650mb though.
Old Jan 29, 2003, 11:44 PM

can someone please verify what the swap 2.0 can and CANT BOOT??? and btw how many dvd rips are actually oVER 650? is there a website somewhere that we can check out the size of a dvdrip before buying?
Old Jan 30, 2003, 06:48 AM
Veteran

a fair chunk of my PS2 Cdr (I have ~300) are over 630MB and swap magic 2.0 CD for booting CDr WON'T boot them - it's pretty poor for CDr.

THe DVDr boot CD is pretty good though - boots everything I have except Britney Dance Beat...

So - I think u'll be dissapointed if u buy it for CDr......