CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2 > PS2 Modchip Help & Installation
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 01, 2003, 06:18 PM

Exclamation warning to would be modders!!

sponsored links

Just a word of warning to anyone thinking of taking on their ps2 themselves.
I am an electrician with plenty of experience of repairs, fault finding and soldering, and thought I could save a few bob by installing the messiah chip myself.
How wrong I was.
I thought I'd start and get the hardest over first and started soldering to the DVD controller.
To cut a long story short, I made a right B*****ks of it.
The pins on this chip are so close together, I shorted two out almost straight away and things got progressively worse from there.
Anyone thinking of trying it for themselves, take my word for it and leave it to the experts.
My ps2 is useless (I had it to a repair shop)
Now its 65+ to exchange it from sony, and I STILL have to pay someone to get it modded
If you're not sure.....LEAVE WELL ALONE
Old Feb 01, 2003, 08:47 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

hi.. you know you can remove those shorts... get yourself some desolder braid from maplins (www.maplin.co.uk) and use that on the legs. then if that fixes it all you need to do is pay for its modding

nick
Old Feb 01, 2003, 10:20 PM

desoldering braid is a wonderful thing in this business
it saved me yet again this evening

unless u turned the ps2 on with the bridging in place or u broke some legs on the chip you should be able to get it going unles u have gobs of solder on the legs i suppose but that shouldnt be
Old Feb 04, 2003, 05:27 PM

Thumbs up desoldering braid

thanks......I'll get some next time I go into Leeds
Old Nov 03, 2004, 05:04 AM

I wish I'd read your post before my attempt bud, I tried my one and I have an Hnd in engineering and still managed to gub up the job, although in all fairness I was using crappy tools too, but I am determined to get it going again.

Anyone here recommend the proper iron, solder etc for the job as those legs in the bios chip are almost impossible to see, need a pair of magnifying glasses, but cant find them locally.

I went into No 1 electicals in my local town, asked the man for kynar wire awg 30 and I think he thought I was speaking in latin, said he had never heard of it, so that alone says something about where I live.
Old Nov 04, 2004, 11:58 AM

Heh. My story is opposite. I'm an out-of-work chemical engineer with less than 10 solders to my name. I looked around for installers... and when some undergrad at the school I went to said he could mod my PS2 i thought "if that @$#@ can do it, then so can I!"

Anyways, I read a few pages on the proper equipment to get (flux paste, 15 watt iron with conical tip, 30g kynar wire, razor blades to use as shields, light duty solder, etc) which also gave a few solder tips. (The guys at the electronics store I went to didn't have a f%$king CLUE what kynar wire was... and one claimed he had an EE degree).

After I got my materials (they cost me almost as much as an install would have.. around $40), I practiced on two old 3Com 3c509 cards I had lying around. I took pictures of my work and got critiques/advice from people online. 3 days later I opened up my PS2 and started attaching wires. I attached the chip when it arrived and after moving an incorrectly soldered wire... it worked!

I guess having no experience made me do my homework and prepare. I was very worried about damaging the PS2 with a solder bridge or excess heat.

I would like to echo bud's statement that mod-chip installation is not for rookies. I did mine cuz I was appalled at the $50-$60 prices installers charge (almost twice as much as the chip in some cases)... but after doing mine I totally understand why they charge that much. Its a meticulous pain in the ***.

For those of you who may not agree, here is a photo of the 3c509 I practiced on (with a dime on the IC for scale)
***********.riftwave.net/media/pix/solder3.jpg

Soldering the pins on that was quite a bit EASIER than any chip I did on the PS2. Also, if your work looks like the work in that photo, then you need more practice!

Nuff said