CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 03, 2003, 03:47 AM
Veteran

Default 2 virus scanners on one system, any good?

sponsored links

Lately, i'm having virus trouble about every week. I connect regularly to a university network, and i'm emailing with many people, which apperantly makes me a popular victim for all kinds of nasty viruses, trojans and worms.

Currently i'm running Norton 2003 (as well as Norton Personal Firewall 2003).
I was just wondering, will it be any good to install 2 virus scanners? McAfee or something else next to Norton?
Old Feb 03, 2003, 04:08 AM
Veteran

It can never hurt to have two virus scanners installed as I have seen instances of say Norton missing a virus the Mcafee has picked up,however just ensure that all your virus definitions are up to date on both packages and that you set a level of protection on your system that you think is adequate for the work that you do on line....

Sometimes the 'lesser known' software packages are better than the commercially advertised programmes,maybe worth looking at something like 'BlackIce Defender' or similar trojan scanners etc

Smiffy

Smiffy
Old Feb 03, 2003, 06:39 AM
Veteran

I remember seeing a write up about blackice defender a while ago and apparently it didnīt catch some things that zone alarm did! I donīt know if two virus scanners running at the same time would work, canīt say iīve ever tried it though. I do like Mcafee and think that itīs e-mail scanner is great. Doesnīt your uniīs mailserver catch virii?
Old Feb 03, 2003, 09:38 AM
Veteran

Like I said some programmes catch what others miss,yes you can run two anti-virus programmes at the same time...

Smiffy
Old Feb 03, 2003, 10:01 AM

My customers experience with Nortons has been that far too may viruses slip past it.
In every case that I have had a Nortons protected machine has been infected with viruses that McAfee has completely detected every time.
You should not use two scanners as they can clash and destroy your system.
One such case I had was where McAfee professional had been installed and some junior idiot in the office introduced shareware VET into the network.
The result was that all machines on the network, within weeks, started to exhibit problems running Office applications.
Each machines hard drive had numerous file check files in its root and they were actually files such as winword.exe itself that VET had managed to destroy.
The damage was that bad that it took just over 40 hours to completely reinstall all machines to a working state.
Needless to say the junior idiot was severely reprimanded for his thoughtless action.
Old Feb 03, 2003, 10:46 AM
Veteran

Quote:
[i]Originally posted by zedy [/i]
[B]clash and destroy your system.[/B]
In that case methinks iīll stick to just Mcafee but still be vigilant as to what i open etc etc