CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Video Game Backup - PS2
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 04, 2003, 10:39 AM
Veteran

Question What is the legal standing on owning imported games?

sponsored links

Its a long story, and one that I have raised before on this forum. Basically, i took my ps2 into a local shop to have the tray repaired, but when it was returned, the chip had been removed.

Obviously this is no good, and i have threatened them with Trading Standards if they do not re-imburse me the cost of fitting a replacement chip.

I used the chip to play legally bought imported games, and I was wondering if that was legit enough to stand up in a Small Claims court if the situation led to one.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Feb 04, 2003, 10:49 AM
Veteran

as long as the imports were original then there should be no problem, u could have the shop done for theft too.
Old Feb 04, 2003, 12:20 PM
Banned

You have a legal right to your modchip if your using it to play backups of your original games or if your using it to play originals from other regions. Thats in the United States though different countries have different specifications for modchips.
Old Feb 04, 2003, 02:43 PM
Veteran

That's a lot of hassle for a repair, and a modchip. Still, no one likes feeling ripped off, I am on your side, but I wouldn't go through the hassle. You should of had one of the people here on the threads fix it for you.
Old Feb 05, 2003, 07:34 AM
Veteran

Yeah - know that now, but I thought it'd be easier to take it into a local shop and pick it up. Thanks for your advice everyone. I`ll add that I`m in the Uk though.
Old Feb 05, 2003, 11:33 AM
Veteran

Well another angle you could come from is the fact that they performed unauthorized work on your unit! How did a tray repair lead to a chip removal???? It's like if I took my car in for an oil change and they ripped out a supercharger or turbocharger!*

*Disclaimer: I do not own a supercharger or turbocharger, but I sure would like one!