CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 23, 2003, 07:57 AM

sponsored links

***********.*******************/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid= 161
have a look at this.
Old Feb 23, 2003, 09:24 AM

I think this is a combination of firmware and bad media batches, the drives themselves will only behave as good as the firmware tells them to unless they are faulty or have been damaged. I have had 2 bad batches of bulkpaq green tops and my friend definitely had a bad batch of datawrite yellow tops - mine were good his didnt work so I gave him some from my batch and they work fine so the proof is in the pudding! Media quality control is at an all time low! :-(
Old Feb 23, 2003, 10:13 AM

Tempted to update firmware, but I think i'll resist for now.
If it aint broke, don't fix it
Old Feb 23, 2003, 11:29 AM

Bring on the hacked firmware for ao5 plzzzzzzzz!
Old Feb 23, 2003, 01:05 PM
Veteran

scrump says he has 1.22 firmware, but the pioneer website only has 1.21 firmware on it
Old Feb 23, 2003, 04:28 PM
Veteran

Pioneer drives are a strange lot. I had them since the A03 was first on the market, and believe me I've had a few. The strange deal is no 2 drives are the same. I've had exactly the same drive with same firmware in the same PC same OS/Bunring app etc etc etc. One will write to blank a whilst the other will give the ol Power Callibration error or not even recognise the VERY SAME DVD-R. I'm not talking cheap media here I'm talking Apple and Verb that are alleged to be the best of the best. Their customer support are about the biggest bunch of shiesters I've ever seen, god help you if you need to RMA a drive back to Pioneer.

There is a lot of rubbish media out there and I hate more than anything getting Bulkpaq etc through the mail from trders, but by contrast I'd say Pioneer have to hold there hands up and take at least 50% of the blame for all the coasters you're all getting...
Swung over to Sony burners now, paid a bit more per unit but have to say I'm more satisfied with the results.

Also a good measure of peoples confidence in the drives is when you buy a fast 4x burning drive yet you see lots of posts saying "burned at slowest speed" Why should you? You paid extra dough for that drive, probably even traded a perfectly good 2x burner in for it, why then should you have to scratch about for a decent quality 1x blank? (current situation driving the prices of 4x media up through the roof aside)

Last edited by danman; Feb 23, 2003 at 04:31 PM.