CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > Open to All Computer Related Topics > Computer Networking & Security
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:30 PM
suspended

sponsored links

My guess would be that you are only allowed one IP address with your dial up service and your hub doesn't allow that address to be cloned to the client computer. That would be why you can't get online on the client machine. If you can't get online on the host machine now I would think it is because you've given it an internal static IP address that isn't recognized by your ISP.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 02:52 PM
Veteran

The ISP renews my IP everytime.

But the network IPs on both the PCs can be altered to what ever I want - the ones that I am using are the standard ones.

There are 2 IP address on PC one:

ISP IP - I cannot change
Network Card IP - I can change

Thanks for helping Elaine
Old Feb 12, 2003, 03:27 PM
Veteran

Well I haven't used ICS on XP or any OS for ages so some comments may be way offline.

There are two options I can see. Either ICS isn't setup correctly or IE on PC2 isn't configured.

On the IE side of things what setings do you have in the connection tab, as these may be part of the problem.

On the ICS part I can't quite remember but a thought - in the same way you set up a static internal IP, do you have to set the default gateway to the internal IP of the PC1 or is ICS supposed to do this. Also you say you can ping internal IP's - have you tried pinging an external IP, say website or mail server, from PC2.

HTH for now, T.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 03:25 AM
Veteran

How can I PING an internal IP - just in command promt:

PING 'IP'

Thanks
Old Feb 13, 2003, 08:06 AM
Veteran

Hi Nokia I Is,

All attempts to ping a server or IP are done the same way - At command prompt, type Ping "IPaddy"

I thought you ha pinged internally ok though? External is more the issue here.

Cheers, T.
Old Feb 13, 2003, 09:15 AM
Veteran

Yeah - the internal PINGING works. But I just want to try external to see wether it is the Internet Explorer settings that are not right - because I have been at this for a few weeks - on PC2 when I goto internet explorer it says detecting proxy settings and then - page cannot be displayed etc