CDROM-Guide forums

Go Back   CDROM-Guide forums > Main Forums > DVD
FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read
Open   CSec   Data   DevDrv   CoOp   Audio   CDRW   CDG   VCD   DVD   HD DVD   Mac   VGB   PS2   DC   Xbox  

Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:08 PM
Veteran

sponsored links

The format war question has been asked many times. What is the difference between DVDĖR/RW, DVD+R/RW, and DVD-Ram. Hopefully this will help those of you with these questions and concerns.

The DVD Forum supports the DVD-R/RW and DVD-RAM standard. It is made up of over 230 companies. The big names giving it support are:

Hitatchi
Matsushita (Panasonic)
Mitsubishi (Verbatim)
Pioneer
Phillips
Sony
Thomson (RCA)
Time Warner
Toshiba
Victor (JVC)

The one problem that the ĖR/RW community has and is apparent at this time is that only a few of these manufacturers actually make anything for PCís here in America. The +R/RW forum has more supporters which are more PC oriented. You will notice some of the same names on both standards.

Phillips
Hewlet-Packard
Sony
Yamaha
Ricoh
Mitsubishi
Thomson (RCA)
Dell
Fujitsu

Because of this difference here in America you tend to find more PC drives are geared towards DVD+R/RW, while more standalones are DVD-R because of Panasonic.

DVD-RAM has been around for quite some time. Itís also very good for Data, but not much more then that. The only standalone DVD players that support DVD-Ram are made by Panasonic. If your intrest is STRICTLY data then this is probably the best format to use currently because of size. A DVD-Ram disc can be up to 9.4 Gigs on one side while the other standards can only be up to 4.7 Gigs.

So what are the real world differences between the disk types? They both write at the same speeds (DVD+RW now writes at 4x so it has an advantage over DVD-RW which only does 2x) so for the most part it just comes down to compatability. Check vcdhelp for player compatability to see if your player is on the list or not, and which format it supports. They have a list of pretty much every DVD player out there. Check out the user comments of others that have the same player. Sometimes a player may support a format, but not fully support it so it may have issues. Check it out here at ***********.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php Also please post your comments about your player there and give back to the community that helped you out. Especially if your player is new.

Most older players tend to favor the ĖR format while more newer players seem to support both. I havenít seen to many standalone players that actually play DVD-RW and DVD+RW. A lot of players on the VCDHelp site claim to be DVD-RW and DVD+RW compatible when they really arenít so be careful there.

The one advantage that I really like about DVD+RW is the ability to do packetwriting. What this means is if I am using DVD-R and DVD+R and I write to it, thatís it I canít write to it anymore. If I am using DVD-RW I can format it and write again, but what if I have one file that I want to change? On DVD-RW thatís not really possible. I have to format the disk and reburn all the contents. With DVD+RW I can delete that one file and add it without formatting.

One other thing to watch for as far as what you buy is the price of the disks. Currently you can buy ĖR blanks in stacks of 100 for about .60 a disk for cheap disks. The cheapest I have seen +R discs for is 1.55 a piece for a stack of 100. DVD-R has been out longer and definitely has a price advantage at this point, and probably will continue to have this advantage for quite some time. At this point and time that is the main reason I would go with ĖR over +R.

For people that want the best of both worlds your in luck. Sony has a drive that does DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW. The Sony DRU-500 line (which I bought recently after my A03 started failing after several years and several hundred burns of faithful service). For more info on this drive visit here: ***********.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=15M3Abyl8rM3JYLqBYM9CvO1uunh6aXt0nI=?Cat alogCategoryID=4.oKC0.NAQMAAADzjx39zFwA&ProductID= IKcKC0.N1DIAAADzho_9zFwD&Dept=cpu

All in all what you decide to buy is a personal opinion. I donít really believe that one format is better then the other at this point. Just research what your player supports, and keep in mind what players you have in mind for the future. I donít think this war will be over till at least next year, and even then its doubtful.
Old Feb 16, 2003, 12:52 PM
Veteran

Would also like to point out that NEC has a dual format drive: [URL=********support.ap.dell.com/docs/storage/p46434/en/intro.htm]NEC ND-1100A 4X DVD+R/RW
Old Feb 27, 2003, 08:31 PM

i think if you read this page the link takes you to,you will find it does not support the writing of both formats.

but correct me if i'm wrong
Old Feb 27, 2003, 08:57 PM
Veteran

That would be because NEC went and changed models on me. That one was originaly a dual format drive, but now isn't and they released the [URL=***********.nec.se/templates/NEC_ProductCategory.asp?id=2878&item=4257]ND-1300 as a dual format drive instead.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 08:58 AM

Some remarks: Being a member of the DVD forum does not mean that you necessarily support their recordable formats. I can assure you that Philips, Thomson etc. are not backing the DVD-R/RW/RAM formats and Time Warner probably does not want any recordable DVD format at all
A more accurate list of the most important companies actually supporting DVD-R/RW/RAM would be the following imho:

Apple
Hitachi (Maxell)
LG
Matsushita (Panasonic)
Pioneer
Samsung
Sharp
Toshiba
Victor (JVC)

and for DVD+R/RW:

Benq (Acer)
Dell
HP (Compaq)
Microsoft
Philips
Plextor
Ricoh
Thomson (RCA)
Yamaha

and some companies such as Lite-On, NEC, Sony, TDK etc. support both formats a list which I'm sure will increase.

If you compare price of the media you'll have to remember that the cheapest DVD-R only record in 1x speed vs. 2.4x for the cheapest DVD+R.

There are a lot of errors in dvdrhelp's DVD player list but I think the overall compability of around 85 % for DVDĪR media and 70 % for DVDĪRW media is not very far from the truth.

Last edited by jsl; Feb 28, 2003 at 09:08 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2003, 05:59 PM
Veteran

I have about 6 dvd players. None of which play DVD-RW or DVD+RW movies. I really don't believe that 70% # at all.